Tosh46WM48 & Sky

Shooter1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of moving into a new house. While the wife is getting a new kitchen I'm allowed to get my first ever HC & TV.

The most I've ever spent on a tv is about £400, so this is a big leap for me.

I'm thinking of going for the Tosh & JVC HC .

A couple of questions for all Tosh owners (I've read a lot of the threads, which are very informative & led to me choosing the Tosh)

1. The majority of my tv viewing is via Sky + and includes a lot of sport. What sort of quality picture can I expect (will it be as good as my 28'' Panny)

2. A lot of people have said that the sound from the tosh is excellent. If this is the case, do I need the HC system?

3. I've got an unmodded x box. If I get it modified what can I use it for with this tv and is worth it?

4. Any thoughts on the HC system I've chosen. (Gone for wireless to keep the wife happy)

5. Or considering my viewing habits, would I be better off with the Tosh 36" CRT?

All answers welcomed.

Shooter1 said:
We're in the process of moving into a new house. While the wife is getting a new kitchen I'm allowed to get my first ever HC & TV.

The most I've ever spent on a tv is about £400, so this is a big leap for me.

I'm thinking of going for the Tosh & JVC HC .

A couple of questions for all Tosh owners (I've read a lot of the threads, which are very informative & led to me choosing the Tosh)

1. The majority of my tv viewing is via Sky + and includes a lot of sport. What sort of quality picture can I expect (will it be as good as my 28'' Panny)

2. A lot of people have said that the sound from the tosh is excellent. If this is the case, do I need the HC system?

3. I've got an unmodded x box. If I get it modified what can I use it for with this tv and is worth it?

4. Any thoughts on the HC system I've chosen. (Gone for wireless to keep the wife happy)

All answers welcomed.

Q1 So is mine and the quality is excellent though variable because of the source. Definitely better than my old 36" Panny.
Q2 Sound is good for everyday viewing but you cant beat an HC system for the sound with a good DVD. And remember that with Sky+ you have a digital output that gives you Dolby Digital on some movies and on the Disney Channel.
Q3 No experience - sorry
Q4 Again no experience.

Q4 - First, the sound quality on the Tosh is very good, however, it does not compare to a full surround sound setup, I have both the Tosh and the JVC 'wireless' system and together they make a great combination. One thing to bear in mind is that the width of the Tosh is 1.35m, add the tall speakers at each side (speaker base will not slide under the TV) and you get one big beast to try and fit in a corner (not too bad if your planning to place on a flat wall). One suggestion, this is what I have done, is to take the front speakers off the stands and stick them behind the front of the TV stand, this keeps the footprint of the Tosh the same (will pm a photo is you want).

Regarding the wireless bit ... don't forget that yes there is no link required between the sub and the rear speakers, but, there are cables required from the rear sender unit to each rear speaker, also the rear sender unit has to be sited near a power socket.

Watching say football on a 46" screen compared to a 28" from the same source. No the quality will not be the same atall. If i was a big football watcher i probably would stay clear of big tv's as you will see if you demo one. It's kind of known that football shows up bad feeds the best.

Sorry to contradict Schnipps but in my eyes, Footy and most sports are amongst the best pictures I see through sky on my tosh.

Sky Sports 1 must be a particularly strong feed.

Darren Batty said:
One suggestion, this is what I have done, is to take the front speakers off the stands and stick them behind the front of the TV stand, this keeps the footprint of the Tosh the same (will pm a photo is you want).

Yes Pls darren, it will be greatly appreciated.

I cant source the JVC anywhere!! So I may go for the denon 500, which seems to be a forum fav.

Awesome forum, loads of intelligent & informative advice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the other replies

I ordered said JVC system in December and the word was at the time that JVC sold out of this kit straight away. They will not be sending anymore to the UK.

I await with much patience a newer HDMI version of that kit with baited breath :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom