1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh46WM48 DLP or 36ZP48P CRT

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stewbold, Jan 31, 2005.

1. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

New poster to this forum. Hi everyone. this is a great source of information.

I have a quandry re which TV to buy. I have on order from John Lewis a Toshiba 36ZP48P. Got a call from them today that they are in the warehouse and can be delivered in 2 weeks. (price 1045.00) However I have been reading the threads on here re the Tosh 46WM58 DLP and am now seriously tempted by one of these.

What to do? The thing that puts me off re the CRT is the sheer weight of the thing (81KG) and worrying whether I will get it in through the door! Also, while it does have prog scan etc, it is not particularly future proof re HD capability etc. On the other hand, while the Tosh DLP is bigger, I understand that it is considerably lighter and more manoeverable. It is also future proof (?) in terms of HD readiness? (Will I be able to hook up a blu ray/HDDVD player to its HD input?)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a local retailer with the DLP in store and have not been able to see any in action, and so am a bit concerned about the size of the screen re viewing distances-I will be watching from up to 10 feet away-is this sufficient?

My main question is picture quality. Subjective question I know, but will the picture quality be as good as, if not better than the CRT? I will be hooking it up to a Sky+ box and a Sony DVR recorder with component out and prog scan capability.

I see that many internet retailers have it for about £1500.00 Any recommendations as to which to go for in terms of speed of delivery, reliability and after sales service

Many thanks for any advice anyone can provide. Sorry about all the questions My mind is half made up to go for the DLP but need that little push!

2. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What to do? The thing that puts me off re the CRT is the sheer weight of the thing (81KG) and worrying whether I will get it in through the door!

The Tosh box it massive so im sure its bigger than the 36 box, althought i got the tosh box into my flat which has an arkward right angled entrance, then straight upstairs. Was a squeeze but 3 of us managed to get it in.

Also, while it does have prog scan etc, it is not particularly future proof re HD capability etc. On the other hand, while the Tosh DLP is bigger, I understand that it is considerably lighter and more manoeverable.

Yes its very light, you can move it with one arm

It is also future proof (?) in terms of HD readiness? (Will I be able to hook up a blu ray/HDDVD player to its HD input?)

I assume so, im not massively up on HD stuff but id assume its all future proofed

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a local retailer with the DLP in store and have not been able to see any in action, and so am a bit concerned about the size of the screen re viewing distances-I will be watching from up to 10 feet away-is this sufficient?

I watch from 10.5 feet away and the gf from about 9 so its doable

My main question is picture quality. Subjective question I know, but will the picture quality be as good as, if not better than the CRT? I will be hooking it up to a Sky+ box and a Sony DVR recorder with component out and prog scan capability.

I would say with PQ i have issues with telewest digital as its bad quality, some channels are ok and some are very blurry. The worst thing that happens is when the camers pans across peoples faces you get a kind of mosaic blurring on the skin tones. DVD is fine and some channels dont do this, i would say eastenders and coronation street are by far the worst i have seen, together with E4 and ITV2

I see that many internet retailers have it for about £1500.00 Any recommendations as to which to go for in terms of speed of delivery, reliability and after sales service

I got mine locally and payed 1700 with a 2 year warranty so cant comment, most online places are coming in at 1600 with delivery

Many thanks for any advice anyone can provide. Sorry about all the questions My mind is half made up to go for the DLP but need that little push

3. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stewbold

I have just ordered mine (after 4 months of research!!) from Sound and Vision and got them to price match Gultronics at 1482.00 delivered ! I'm confident this is the best price you will get anywhere (as of yesterday) They appear to have a very good reputation for service. Mine is due to be delivered within the next 5 days so I cannot give you a complete view on the PQ but what I can say is that I viewed the set 2 weeks ago whilst in the US. It was displaying a Hi-def nature programme (tigers etc) and the picture was unbelievable, way better than any plasma I've seen and my Philips 32CRT.
    I believe this set is as future proof as you can get right now. The fact that its a big seller in the US is encouraging since those guys are 3 - 4 years ahead of the game.
    Go for it !

4. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks scnipps and Bassett for your helpful replies. Will now order one. I will take your advice and get Sound & Vision to price match (thanks for the heads up!

Now just need to convince the wife that "that big bl@@dy thing in the middle of the room" somehow enhances the decor and she will quickly get used to it. :)

Stewbold

5. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I have both Toshiba CRT and DLP sets at home. I first bought the Picture Frame 36" and the picture is superb for regular TV especially Sky. Tv programmes are produced for presentation on regular TVs and so a lot of shots are close-ups. Films are produced for the big screen ( with an eye on future DVDs of course ) but are generally not as "in your face".
    I therefore bought the 36" for regular TV viewing, and the Tosh is pretty much as good as it gets. The picture doesn't really get any better than this, and the sound is Dolby Digital too and sounds great. DD is available on Sky+ as well as DVDs. The 36" isn't HD compatible though. I originally had a 32" Tosh with DD sound but the newer model 36" walked all over it with real black even on dark scenes where the older 32" would tend to grey out. The 32" was fine on bright scenes with good contrast, but the 36" handles anything thrown at it.
    I have had the DLP set for less than a week, but first impressions are pretty good. You have to take price into account. DLP is pixel perfect but its how it handles the picture processing that can make the difference. I think the Samsung 50" is better from that point of view but this is only my impression from having seen it showing a DVD in Currrys. The Samsung is £1500 more expensive if both sets are bought from Currys.
    The Samsung is £2000 more than I paid.
    The picture is pretty well as good as the source. It works superbly with DVDs. I've just bought a few Superbit DVDs to give it a good work out, but so far it's performed well with good print ordinary DVDs.
    You need to tweak the settings, backing off contrast and sharpness for instance.
    The set seems quite future proof and is HD compatible. I use component in for my main DVD player and RGB scart for a connected Panny DBVD recorder, through which is routed SKY satellite.
    I'm going to be using it for home cinemain the main and I think it's here that it's best employed.
    Hopefully I will get a fair bit of life from the lamp as it won't get the regular use of the 36" set. I have it set on low lamp power.
    I use blinds to keep the ambient light down and use dimmed lights in the evening.
    The 46" DLP is actually in a smaller room than the 36" and it really does give you that home cimema experience. I use a Yamaha amp with Kef floorstanders, but the sound from the set itself is very good. It's quoted as being stereo, which it is, but it uses WOW sound processing and it's fairly effective in its virtual surround processing. It has a built-in sub as does the 36" set. The output is 40 watts RMS.
    It is considerably lighter than the 36" and two people can easily unbox it and put it on its stand. The box is well designed and its easy to get the set out as the top part of the box goes right down to the foor and when it's removed it's easy to lift the TV out.I bought the set from Digital Direct. They advised when they were delivering and then rang again when they were an hour away.
    The stand took the longest to put together. There's loads of room for amps, DVDs and digiboxes and the set looks very nice indeed.
    I'm delighted with both sets but it's horses for courses. I have noticed the rainbow effect but haven't found it too distracting.
    I did have a strange problem with the set today, as first the sound became intermittent and then the picture went off, although not the menus. I switched off and bac on again and it's worked fine since. I've kept the box as required by Digital Direct in case of returns within the first two weeks. You need a small airport hanger for the box.
    The picture on the 46" is stunning when the source is stunning. It will be exceptional when HD becormes a reality. Blows plasmas out of the water for home cinema IMO.
    Hope this helps a bit. Thomas.

6. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Electrosim

Thanks for your fantastic and detailed post. I am now really looking forward to taking delivery next Tuesday. Now trying to decide whether to go for the Sammy HD945 or Denon 1910 DVD player. Probably the Samsung as it seems easier to make multiregion.

Regards

Stewart

7. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good luck on your purchase.
    Further to my review, I received the first of a few superbit dvds I have managed to bag on ebay. The Fast and the Furious dvd. It does begin to show what the set is really capable of. I am only using a fairly budget but highly rated Toshiba DVD player with component outs and progessive scan, and the picture is exceptional. I haven't seen better. It's nice to watch a full widescreen ratio film and not feel that you're looking through a letterbox.

I do see the occasional rainbow, which is not like I imagined it to be. It happens when your eyes dart across the screen and is like a very quick rainbow flash on a small part of the screen. There is also another feature which I haven't read about too. When the camera scans across a scene there is a tendency for edges to go into a kind of 3D anaglyph effect. Where the green and the red are separated, like you see on 3D comics where you use the green red 3D glasses to view the picture. This might be a problem for sports viewers but it isn't much of an issue when viewing films. In fact it seems to affect close up pans on peoples faces for instances rather than long-distance panning so maybe it won't even be an issue for footy fans. ( Especially after a few cans )

All in all the technology is extremely clever and effective, and for the price, is a steal. It's almost like having a projector and screen but without the hassle, and with a TV tuner and decent sound thrown in as a bonus. The shelf space is enormous and will fit a multitude of gizmos. For viewing SKY I've set the digibox to 4.3L so that the 16.9 ratio programmes are shown smaller than the full screen which appears a more sensible size for normal programming. Of course it's only a moment's work to put it back to 16.9 for SKY films.

Interested to hear how you find it.
    Regards, Thomas.

8. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart,

Spend a little time and have a read through the posts on the 945 from Samsung, its 'little' brother alternative the 745 and also the 1910. One of the last posts I was reading said that they 945 is about to go off the market/be phased out and that for the time being the 745 will remain as the stable HD player from Samsung until their new models come out at some stage soon.

There has been some debate on the differences between the 745 and 945 and it seems to really boil down to the DVI vs HDMI output between the two and also the upscaler using slightly different ICs.

For the price, I believe pixmania has them at 104 or thereabouts and due in stock on Monday I think, its def a bargain player for what you get, including DVD-Audio and DiVX playback. There seems to be some issues (software related) with the 945 and no update yet to rectify it.

I had asked in the forums for an alternative to the Sammy's and for the price they are in a league of their own.

Ultimately with the rapid pace of developments this year I would say go for the 745, as with the money spent you won't be upsetting your bank manager too much if you consider a different newer player later on in the year.

DLP is def an upcoming technology and just like Plasma and LCD not without its quirks, everything is swings and roundabouts and really you have to weigh those up based on the primary intended role of the TV. There is so much info out there especially in this forum it can get quite overwhelming. CRTs from Tosh are def fantastic and a stable tech but I think they have gone pretty much as far as they can go, leaving you with Prog Scan over component.

To me given the investment you intend to make, I would say its nice to get some degree of future proofing which you might regret later on.

I guess your other alternative might be to get the Tosh CRT for everyday viewing of Sky+ etc and consider a PJ for your movies? Something like the Screenplay 4805 whilst not having any of the latest DLP chips is still fantastic for the money, can give you a monster picture for that true Home Cinema experience and not set you back a fortune at all. Beware though that PJs, especially the 4805 and others in that price range do need low ambient light to make it worthwhile. So if you can't reduce the ambient light significantly, might not be an option for you. DLP TVs on the other hand are less fussy in that respect.

I am by no means any kind of authority, learning as I go along and trying to absorb all the info and pro's and cons. For ref I have a 4805 with a 106 inch 16:9 screen for movies coupled to a Samsung HD935 and have a Samsung 46 DLP on the way. In my case the Samsung was cheaper than the Tosh here in Malta.

Good luck and happy reading on the forums.