1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh46 s-video quicky

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by schnipps, Jan 25, 2005.

1. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dvd player unfortunately doesn't have rgb out, only svideo and composite. I dont want to have to buy a new one just yet as it has all of the speakers with it and replacing it would mean buying either a new bundle (dvd player with speakers). Or i would have to buy a new dvd player /av amp/speakers which again is going to be about 300 quid.

So at the moment its just scarted up via composite which i know is crap.

Im getting the tosh on thursday and wondered would connecting the dvd player to the tosh be better done with svideo, and if so is the svideo jack on the tosh in a silly place, like on the front or side?

Or is this a pointless idea.

2. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    S video is better. The S socket is on the side but AV3 SCART is S video for which I use an adaptor - SCART to S video - which works well.

3. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pantages i will do that, how much would a half descent svideo to scart cable cost? and could you point me towards one, thanks

/edit

would this be ok
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=588

svideo goes into back of dvd player and scart into the back of the tv, i wouldnt need to plug the audio leads in anywhere as the sound comes directly out of the dvd player into the speakers (i assume the other 2 plugs are audio), is that correct

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yes, it is. Try also Keene Electronics, their on-line catalogue is at www.keene.co.uk

5. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi schnipps,yes its a nice feature on the tosh,when you are setting it up you can specify the av3 input to accept a s-video signal so the lead is hidden round the back,nice and neat.
    congratulations on your choice of tv,you wont regret it,i got mine just before xmas and even the missus is taking an interest in what films we watch now so it must be good.

6. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the menu interface like on the tosh, is it easy to navigate/use. Im no AV expert.

Yeah i cant wait till tomorrow, preparing the living room tonight for it. Still dont think the girlfriend appreciates just how big its going to be compared to the Sony 28" we have now.

Off to get some descent scart cables at dinner time.

7. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Dead simple!

8. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thursday today schnipps,are you pacing the room like a lunatic or is it plumbed in yet?

9. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im at work at the mo, I have a evening installation, so between 6-8pm tonight its coming. Sony tv is now in my spare room and the space is all clear and cleaned in the living room ready for the tosh, ive even tidied all of the cables up :)

Quite excited.

Got I-robot last night as the first film to watch as i havent seen it. After watching parts of it last night on one of the lcd displays in the store whilst i was paying for the tosh the sound was fantastic, so looking forward to watchign that tonight.

Fingers crossed it doesnt turn up broke though, knowing my luck.

10. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont panic when you switch it on and the picture is very dark,after about 45secs to a minute the picture will brighten to normal levels.this is usual when you have the set in low lamp mode i think,this setting is recommended if you want to prolong the life of the bulb.

11. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i got it all installed last night and to be honest the telewest feed is shocking, sky 1 is very pixellated/blocky/blurry. Its like watching a compressed mpeg on the computer. Not sure what to do. Dvd's are fine its just the telewest digi feed thats very poor.

12. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all these tv:s will struggle with a crap feed,roll on a decent broadcast feed.

13. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone here got any first hand experience of the quality difference between a sky feed and telewest feed?