1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh ZP38 Recording out from AV3 in SVideo

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BigRD, Dec 20, 2003.

1. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Has anyone tried this. Sky RGB > AV1 ZP38
    AV3 S-Video> DVD Recorder or similar

AV3 is supposed to be able to output SVideo but I can't get it to work except in B&W from all selectable sources. I suspect the TV isn't equipped with the conversion circuitry to allow this and the only way to output SVideo on AV3 is if there's an SVideo input signal on AV3 (strange to have in and out at the same time on the same socket) or AV5

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A black and white picture is usually a sign of s-video not being enabled. Hence, if possible and somewhere along the line, a switch from composite to s-video needs to be made. Either that or you're right about a lack of conversion.

Sorry I can't help any more, but good luck :smashin:

3. ronster

ronster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a very vague answer (since I only had a ZP38 for a week before sending it back!), but I seem to remember one of the system menu options allowing you to set the input and output types of AV3, and one of the options was S-Video. Have you played with those settings?

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yep. Changed the input/output setting to S-Video ( on screen now displays channel ID as AV3S instead of AV3). Other TV inputs are Sky via AV1 in RGB. When I select to route AV1 out on AV3 it's in B&W I hoped the TV would convert the signal.

According to the very brief manual only AV3 & AV5 can handle S-Video inputs and only AV3 can output it. Seams a bit of a strange setup if only AV3 can only use S-Video signals from itself ?? or from AV5. I Mean how often will I use the front AV5?

BTW DVD is connected via component so it's not in the equation.

The reason for trying this is I'm considering buying a Tosh DR1 DVD recorder (cause it can output PAL Prog Scan) and thought about connecting it's S-Video (it doesn't do RGB in) input to the TV AV3 output to route Sky that way. Wishfull thinking on my part possibly.

Any suggestion are much appreciated.

5. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A late reply: I reckon the TV only outputs composite out of AV3. I tried recording to the s-video inputon my sony trv33 camcorder and the picture was b&w. A symptom of feeding a composite signal to a s-video input. Shambles.