1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh ZD26P with US Cube = buggy progressive scan?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by timdp, Feb 3, 2003.

1. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I finally got round to buying my nice shiny new ZD26P and merrily plugged my Cube in through my component cable.

Booted up holding B, switched to progressive scan mode and was pretty amazed by the crispness of it all.

However, I think the software in the ZD26P is a little buggy, mine seems to have trouble at the top of the screen with solid white or bright colours on screen. The very top piece of the screen distorts sideways and flickers on birght images, prime offenders are Mario Sunshine (prominent), Madden 2003 on a snow pitch (constant), and Metroid Prime (when the screen whites out).

Has anyone else seen this?

2. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello timdp,

This problem has reared its ugly head before, however I've had no experience of it myself (sold my US cube just before it was launched in the UK).

I remember Neoblade discussing this same problem with another member (can't remember his name), it seemed to affect any light areas of colour (sky etc), one game mentioned was Mario Sunshine.

I've ordered another Gamecube (purely to play the revamped Resident Evil games), and I will be posting my findings about progressive scan as soon as I have a chance.

You might want to look at this thread (15th post by talizker), he seems to have suffered the same problem.

3. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Damn, that looks terrible. Certainly not worth the hard earned cash you forked out for it, demand an exchange or refund ASAP man!

5. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does indeed look terrible, but it's only in progressive scan mode and only on certain games, probably affects about 3% the time (so far...).

I can certainly live with it because it does look totally awesome when it's not busted. I'd rather write Tosh a pissy letter and get them to give me a free matching DVD player... ;)

However, if it affects Zelda that will be a different matter all together... :eek:

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    yeah, there's have to be murders if Zelda messes up innit? ;)

7. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hey timdp

Those pics bring back some bad memories!!! Also seen it on Snow Episode [5?] of Band of Brothers via Tosh 520 Prog Scan DVD [although brief flashes and nowhere near as noticable as Mario / Metroid on GC].

TZK

8. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tzk, you still got yours? Or did you trade it up for something else? If so, what?

I've written a well pissy letter to Tosh and am waiting to see what they say.

9. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    timdp,

I had two and both had the same problem [the second had serious geometry issues - but that's a different story!]. I have now got a Sanyo Z1 Projector. Really got fed up with TV's. There did not seem to be a good one out there and I really wanted Progressive Scan Input... I am happy now:)

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second those nasty memories... Its clearly evident in Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. Hell it even happened to me once in Wave Race. As for now I can't be arsed changing my TV since I've got my eyes on a Sony projector but the problem still exists nevertheless.

If it happens on Zelda all hell will break loose... Speaking about Zelda the bonus disk should be winging its way to me ::fingers crossed::

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    a mate of mine is having this problem on his new Tosh in progressive from a GC. Totally gutted as the image is superb but white/very bright scenes seem to bend the image top right.
    Has anyone heard anything about a fix from tosh yet or are you expected to live with it.?

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thus far I've heard nothing from Tosh about it... And I've had my TV for almost a year now. Also with my Xbox the image in prog scan is very blurry... But I put that down to the cheap construction of the component box I bought from GAME (£25 though! >_<). I have the official cables on order and it was shipped 2 days ago so it shouldn't be too long now for a proper test.

With DVDs though there is no such problems with distortion and I can live with it for now until I get my projector ^_-

13. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent my letter in to Tosh dated the 4th of February.

Had a call this morning (28th) from a very nice chap called Nigel who is the UK Customer Relations manager.

Had a long chat and passed on links to the reports of ZD26p going bad on this forum.

I might even lend them my Cube so they can reproduce it quicker (as yet, they haven't managed it).

Will keep you all posted.

14. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bibooo

You say your ording a Cube just for The Resi Games ,
    I'am looking to do the same ,
    Just one thing are you going for a NTSC or PAL Cube ,

As people say the NTSC cube is much better

Thanks

:smashin:

15. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    BIONIC-MAN,

I would definitely go for a US Gamecube, faster, no borders etc. I had to get one this time, mainly for progressive scan and the fact they released a platinum silver version of the cube (it looks almost as good as my Ltd Ed silver PS2).

I have played the first Resident Evil briefly, the graphics are simply jaw dropping, I haven't seen anything like this in a long time. Unfortunately Res 2 and 3 are straight ports from the PS1, so graphically they should look the same.

I bought the cube from Goblin Games for £189 inc game, memory card, step-down, and next day delivery service. You can also build your own bundle, obviously purple or black cubes will be cheaper.

16. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the area technical managers from Tosh came to visit me today, took my set apart, added something somewhere whilst muttering about cleaning up a messy scan lock signal (or something) and then reassembled eveything. Hey presto, no more tearing on Super Mario Sunshine.

Apparently they'd been in contact with the factory in Japan who had in turn suggested this fix.

So now I have a totally non-standard, 100% working 28ZD26P. Very pleasing.

17. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well done Tim.

Neil.

18. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Hi Tim, I have the same problem, although its hardly ever happened on zelda, mario is the worst by far.

Any particular peeps to ring, or shall I go the warranty way m8??
    32zd26p is my set, about 3 months old.

Many thanks,
    Spoony.

19. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wanna get it resolved I would recommend writing a letter to:

Nigel Evans,
    Toshiba Electronics (UK) Ltd,
    Riverside Way,
    Camberley,
    Surrey,
    GU15 3YA.

He's the UK Customer Relations manager and if you detail the problem, reference me (Tim Poultney) and say that you found out a fix was available from av-forum then I'm sure he'll help you out.

20. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks mate - I'm going to do that too.

21. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Cool matey, nice one!!!:clap:

I`ll get in touch with him poste haste :p

Spoony

22. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd better write to him too and let him know I've posted his details... :blush:

23. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim, you don't mind me writing to him aswell do you? Haven't sent the letter yet...

24. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone go for your lives. They know how to fix it and I think it can be done by a standard engineer. If you write to Nigel, he knows of the problem and is able to sort it out.

25. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks.

26. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After putting in a little more time with my Cube + TV, I've noticed that while the tearing issue has been fixed, it's introduced another problem.

Now I have a faint pulsing effect going on in the lower left hand corner of my screen when I run in progressive scan mode. I'm writing to Tosh now, and will keep you all posted.

27. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Also Tim, if you have resident eveil region 1, the bit where the army guys set off a flash grenade when they storm the building, this also made my sceen flash, and bend at the top too :(

Spoony.

28. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What - all the time you're in progressive mode?? If so then that sounds even worse! I'd rather have a big problem very occasionally than a little problem constantly bugging me. :(

29. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it pulses all the time. It's a LOT less noticeable than the tearing, but no less irritating. I've dispatched a second letter to Tosh and am awaiting a response. Will keep you posted.

30. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F*** that! I can put up with the tearing since it's so infrequent, but constant pulsing sounds awful. I assume it's still only with Gamecube though?

Yes, please keep us posted if you manage to get it sorted.