Tosh xs34 & removing adverts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by britskin, May 27, 2005.

1. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after a lot of consideration I think I have decided to go for the xs34 over the Panny eh50, I was just wondering if any xs34 owners could describe how you cut out adverts from programs recorded onto the HDD. Is it possible to do it without seeing any of the action? eg I was thinking about shows like 24 and alias where I would like to watch without breaks but I don't want to find out any surprises whilst removing the ads, does this make sense?

Also, anyone know if the picture quality on DVD playback is better/same as the Tosh sd240 dvd player? or is there any way I can find out?

Thanks for any help guy's and gals.

Ian

2. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the XS34, like most if not all of the competition, cannot auto detect ads. Thus, you have to edit the show manually which means scooting through the program and dividing at the start and end of the ad breaks. If you want to be frame perfect then you are going to see the few frames either side of the ads whilst you line up the cut. Might be safer to FF at top speed into the the ads and then work back. This speed is unlikely to spoil the plot.

Unless you want to archive a show I would suggest just recording the show and use the instant skip button to skip over the ads. You can set this to one of the preset intervals and then tap through the ads. I think mine is set to 30 seconds and so for example a 2 minute break I'd hit it 4 times.

I'm afraid that I can't comment on the playback comparison but I have a standalone Pioneer 575 which was considered a very good player and the Tosh doesn't shame itself by comparison. Sony recorders are supposed to have the best playback, but as they weren't on my shortlist the Tosh was at least the equal of the Panasonic and Pioneer competition which I did dem.

3. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Sinclair, the 30sec skip idea will work fine, are you able to do this during timeslip/chasing playback ie if a show starts at 9pm, could you start watching at 9.15 say, and skip the ads to gradually catch up?

Cheers.

4. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I can't see why not, it's just a preset FF and you can definitely FF through chasing playback

5. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, cheers bud! :thumbsup:

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Britskin - you may also want to consider the Sony 710 if removing ads is important to you. It has intelligent chaptering which is supposed to put a chapter at each major scene change. Here is a quote from one owner:

"Intelligent Chaptering is VERY usefull: maybe is not 100% in finding scene change but at least it finds commercial."

From this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208954

If playback PQ is important to you then the new Sony range is supposed to have the best playback PQ of any DVD recorder. Have a look at Rasczak's guide here for details on the Sony 510 (Model down from 710) for more details:

http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML#CHART

Note that you can buy the 710 from places like Pixmania but it is not yet officially released in the UK. The UK version is to be released later this year Sep/Oct and will have an integrated Freeview tuner. (This may or may not be useful to you. Given that you are recording 24 I assume that you are recording from either Sky or cable.)