1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS32, Sky+ and RGB

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alicat, Oct 24, 2004.

1. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got this lot setup now but I can only get sound through te telly and no picture when set to RGB.

I have it set to "video" to get picture and sound for the moment

Fully wired (all 21 pins) scarts are use from Sky+ to XS32.

Sky+ is output in RGB.

I can only think I have a faulty SCART

Can anyone with the same setup as me, recommend a decent SCART lead

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Ensure you have connected the TV Output of the Sky unit to the input on the Toshiba. Also ensure you haven't pressed the TV button on the Sky handset. This defaults the Sky output to 'Video' despite what it says in the Sky menu?

Certainly if your getting a black screen with sound that is indicating that the Toshiba is receiving a Video (Composite) picture.

3. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, when Mrs housekeeper has finished with the telly I will check the Sky TV button theory.
    I can only assume now that I must have a duff SCART. I don't have a continuity meter handy tonight. Will check it at work tomorrow

4. Stanman

Stanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Alicat, I have the same problem, did you resolve yours??

5. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Problem is still here. I got 3 new fully wired SCART leads from Richer Sounds, (Cambridge Sound £9.99 each).

If I am viewing the setup menu I can start with Video which is fine. Going through to S Video I lose the colour signals and finally on RGB, I lose the whole picture

I have sound in all cases.

There must be more of us here with this setup.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Are you positive you have connected to the TV Scart on the Sky unit? Only the TV Scart outputs RGB.

Additionally does your TV have a menu setting for the input type? If so that needs to be set correctly.

7. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my earlier posts. I had the same problem only i was using a Humax digi box. I also used a number of other devices that were clearly outputing a RGB signal but the AV2 on the tosh when set to RGB would go black and output sound only. When set to video no problems but S-video also was not right (black and white picture only)

I rang Toshiba and they said that the unit was faulty. I have now sent it back to RGB direct (the company who sold it to me). They have checked the unit and it is indeed faulty. A new replacement unit is on its way to me.

Try using another device which outputs a RGB signal such as a DVD player and see whether that is picked up when the Tosh is set to RGB. If it does not then it seems as if you also have a faulty unit.

8. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same setup. I am outputting RGB from SKY+ to AV2 on the Tosh. At the moment I then output AV1 scart to the telly (until I get my 36ZP48 on Thursday when I will swap to component :) )

The Tosh is set up to output RGB and the picture is much clearer as a result.

The main problem I found was the SKY+ bloke set the box up on RF and the scart lead looked like it was connected to the SKY+ box but wasn't fully connected. So I spent a while trying to figure out why I could not get a signal from the SKY+ box. :rolleyes:

9. Stanman

Stanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    My problem is sorted, thanks Razscak. I had the sky box orginally connected via the video scart but switching to the TV scart and hellaluah it appeared. Now to learn all the other features.

10. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys but the problem is with the INPUT AV 2 TO the Toshiba XS 32 (from Sky+)

I am outputing RGB to the TV via SCART

The problem is in recording TO the XS 32

F. G. Evans may have the answer

11. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had the AV 2 RGB input fault with the XS 32?

12. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another unit delivered and guess what this one is also defective with the same problem.

RBG also promised they would send me a new unit but when i checked the hard-drive it was full of programmes that had been recorder back in August 2004.

I am far from happy and am going to ask for my money back and go somewhere else.

I am so peeved off i am tempted to forget about the Tosh and but a Panny E85 instead.

14. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been having problems with connecting Toshiba 36zp48 to RD-XS32 and Sky+ box using component between 36zp48 and RD-XS32. I have set Sky+ to output RGB and 36zp48 connections are RGB. I bought RD-XS32 from RGB Direct.

Current connections as follows:

Component - AV4 (Component Input) on TV to Component Output on RD-
    XS32
    THOR Scart - AV1 on TV to Sky+ TV Scart
    THOR Scart - Sky+ VCR Scart to RD-XS32 Satellite/Decoder Scart
    Scart - AV2 on TV to RD-XS32 Audio Video Scart

Profilgold Digital Coax - DA-2 (Coaxial) socket on TV to Coaxial on RD-XS32
    Coax from TV Aerial socket on TV to RD-XS32 RF Out

AV Connections set on TV as follows:

Digital Input 1 (DA-1) = Off
    Digital Input 2 (DA-2) = EXT4 (Component)
    EXT3 Input = AV
    EXT3 Output = TV

(Not using the EXT3 connection which can be used for VIDEO or S-VIDEO)

Initial settings on RD-XS32 include:

AV1 output = Video
    AV2 input = Video

This enables me to play and record Sky through the recorder. If I change these settings to RGB I can still play pre-recorded DVDs but I cannot get a picture for any channel or record from Sky.

Welcome views from anyone else re these settings and if I have gone wrong somewhere. It does not seem possible to be able to have the RGB connections and to be able to get Sky via the recorder. Has anyone else also used a component connection between RD-XS32 and TV?

15. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also meant to ask what happens if you press the TV button on Sky remote? If this changes signal from RGB to Video (irrespective of fact that Sky menu shows RGB rather than PAL) how can this be reversed?

16. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    On my Amstrad Sky+ both composite and RGB are output when the Sky menu is set to RGB, when set to PAL composite only is output.

When I press the "TV" button pin 16 of the TV scart (on skybox) is changed and the TV switches to composite even though RGB is still present, pressing "Sky" changes this signal and the TV switches back to RGB. What this means is that if my Panny E55 is switched on (its connected in line) the signal comes from the E55 and pressing TV/Sky has no effect (other than changing the following remote key presses).

I don't think all satellite boxes behave the same because some people have reported getting blank screen recordings after pressing the TV button on their remote which would indicate on those boxes the RGB is actually being disabled the same as if deselected on the menu.

17. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've tried an old Scart switcher box that had a manual switch between RGB and Comp.

My Sky (Pace) box switched off the RGB signal when pressing the TV button as I could not get a signal when the switch box was set to RGB.

Does this mean that to get a device to see the RGB signal, pin 16 has to be high or low. If low than removing the pin 16 connection would cure several problems???

I guess that when pin 16 goes high the device switches to RGB mode and pressing the TV button switches this off. I hope I'm wrong!!!

Any way around this I wonder???

18. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This message is for Kevhu - i think he has connected the system the wrong way. Am i right in thinking that only the TV video out on Sky + is RGB. He seems to be connecting the Video scart output to the RGB input (AV2) on the Tosh. He needs to connect the RGB output scart to the AV2 input on the Tosh.

Hence his problem

19. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks FG Evans - have now changed SCART connections around and have been able to receive AV2 input as RGB. Still have AV1 output set as Video. I can now also get Sky via the DVD Recorder (Component on EXT4).

20. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The signal needs to be 1-3V to select RGB, 0-0.4V means composite.

My only experience of this is based upon my own setup when I got curious as to why "TV" had no effect when my DVDR was switched on. The only device I know for certain that does not turn off the RGB but just changes the pin 16 signal is my Amstrad Sky+ (I would guess I don't have a faulty machine). Judging from previous posts on this forum (and others) about people getting blank screens on their DVDR after pressing TV I would think some other boxes behave differently and turn off their RGB output though a less likely possibility is that the DVDR is reading this signal and turning off its RGB input (I have a Panny E55 which isn't affected by pressing TV on my Amstrad box).

I don't know what the default setting would be if pin 16 was disconnected, it could drop to 0, or it could be pulled up expecting an active pull down from the sender, I suspect the former.

21. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak- you are a genius and I am thick!!. I should have read your post properly!!!!
    Toshiba have told me also that Sky+ only outputs RGB on AV 1 (TV out)

F G Evans: there is nothing wrong with your Toshiba XS 32. I have tried using AV 1 from the source and get RGB on everything (Sky+ and TUCT 30 Freeview box)

Thanks everyone for the help (Toshiba emailed me with a full and concise reply within 3 hours of me sending it!)

22. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is for Alicat in particular - you say there is nothing wrong with my Tosh.

However i have done what Rascal suggested ie i am making sure that i am using the TV output on my freeview box (as the other scart does not output a RGB signal whereas the TV scart does output RGB on the Freeview)

I am connecting the TV output to AV2 on the Tosh (as i assume that only AV2 on the Tosh accepts a RGB signal)

When i set AV2 on the tosh - result no picture simply sound.

What have you done different this time Alicat to get a result. Looking at your earler post you stated that you did connect the RGB TV output on the sky box but still did not get a signal

23. Stanman

Stanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    FG Evan you might just have been slightly unlucky. I nordered and recieved XS32 from RGB direct and I was having the same problem until I checked the forum and hey presto, there was picture as well as sound.