Tosh XS32 - quick one

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dadd, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Dadd

Dadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick one to save me trauling through review thread. Have option to pick up XS32 pretty cheap so very interested.

Concern 1: black level bug - do I need to worry about this, or is there ways to solve it?

Concern 2: can I edit accurately so that unwanted frames do not still exist after editing?

Finally, briefly, has the Pioneer 720 got any worthwhile features that the Tosh XS32 hasn't (apart from bigger HD)?

Many thanks,

Dadd

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I haven't heard of a black level bug.

For editing, in VR mode you can edit at single frame accuracy. But if you are going to dub to a DVD-Video, it needs to be by GOP (~10 ish frames). This is a restriction of DVD-video and not specific to the XS32.

Mark

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Pioneer 720 can record an NTSC source, the XS32 can't.

The 720 can write at 4X to -RW discs and 8x to -R. XS32 writes -RW at 2X and -R at 4X. Also, with the XS32, it won't work with 4X -RWs at all; only 2X. With -R, it will happily write to a 8X disc, but only at 4X.

Editing wise, they look pretty much the same. The XS32 doesn't have a "divide" function to split a recording directly into 2, but you can do the same thing with a "playlist".

Mark

4. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the black level bug only affected NTSC models not the PAL ones.

5. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I think that the black level bug was to do with DVD playback on US DVD players. It's certainly a non-issue in Europe. As the 160gb XS34 is selling for around £300 you'd want to be getting a good discount to make it worth your while. The 720 I demod was a good machine

6. oopsnow2

oopsnow2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally mate I picked up the XS32 pretty cheap.... it hardly plays any of my burnt discs. I got tons of music etc.... and the player struggles to play them. Actually I'm pretty fed up with the machine.