1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS32 & Powercuts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mechman, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Mechman

Mechman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a short (1 second) power cut whilst timer recording to HDD, Tosh shutdown then restarted & carried on recording. But 20 minutes of program recorded before power cut was lost. At the same time recording different program with old Panasonic VCR, just a short glitch in recording. Is there anything on market that can protect against short power cuts? I already use a surge protector on mains lead. Why doesn,t the Tosh save to HDD as it records?

Cheers

P.S. Really pleased with the XS32 once I,d mastered (I think) the instruction manual!

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does explain in the manual (or somewhere)that it is more like a PC than a traditional recorder in its behaviour, so I guess a restart is to be expected.

If it really is an issue for you because you get mains glitches regularly you could buy a UPS for it.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can get a UPS from Ebuyer which would power a DVD recorder for at least 20 minutes (and probably a good deal longer) for about £47 inc. VAT

P.S. Since I last looked the price has dropped ! It's now £29.99 inc. VAT. Quickfind code is 62752

4. Mechman

Mechman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We get quite a few outages, usually for less than a second, I wonder if to many of these will do damage to the recorder? Will look at the UPS from ebay.

Cheers

5. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought that was a bargain myself, so went ahead and bought one. I should have looked a bit more closely before buying, because I've just noticed that the power output sockets on the back are for kettle leads only! I guess that's okay for my PC (as it suggests in the blurb) or if i want a brew during a power cut :p.

Anyone know if you can get a lead to plug into this that will give me a proper plug socket at the other end?

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it probally does but it saves the "directory" info at the end of the recording and anything that isn't completed when the power goes off gets lost.

It happend to me last night!

This was the same on the JVC DRM1, except when you lost power the current program was lost and the disc + everything else on it got corrupted!!!

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That type of connector is common on UPS's, because it's accepted worldwide, despite voltage differences, and it stops the wrong types of appliances being accidentally plugged in and overloading the UPS. Ebuyer do a cable - it's Quickfind item number 40660. I ordered 6 when I bought a couple of UPS's from them - and they supplied the wrong ones :mad: You should be able to get them from PC accessory shops. Maplin do them for £3.99 each (Stock code MK24B). One way of saving money on these cables is to buy one with the male end, and wire it to a 13A distribution panel. The downside of this is that it's easy to plug in something like a vacuum cleaner accidentally, and overload the UPS.