1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS32 makes discs it can't read

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skyline32, May 31, 2005.

1. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only 100% success I have had with the XS32 is TDK Scratchproof DVD-RW.

I really want to switch to making DVD-R and not DVD-RW. I bought a batch of DataWrite Titanium from blankdiscshop and all seemed OK with that batch of 25. So I bought two batches of 50 and the problems returned. Everything seems to go OK until you play the disc, when you get the dreaded "check the disk, it may be dirty or physically damaged" message. The same disc plays perfectly in a standard DVD player.

Anyone have any recommendation for DVD-R blanks which have high reliability? (maybe the drive in my machine is dodgy)

Jim

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Yep its a Toaster mate, should have gone Panny...................I wish I had
    :thumbsdow

F!TOSHIBA :devil:

3. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The drive in the machine IS dodgy, they could have put a better drive in it but it there own or one of there partners.

There have been lots of posts on this subject.

Options are.

If under warenty get it replaced by

a) dealer first
    b) Toshiba but it can take time and will probally repair it

Try the firmware update (again loads of messages on this).

Toshiba's are fussy on discs but most people have a much greater success on a Ritek based disc.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  5. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I updated to ZL11 1415 in January and things did seem to improve. Thanks to you Mark I checked the link again today and.....
    I noticed the update is now up to ZL11 1416. I don't know how long it's been there.
    Has anyone tried this yet?
    I'll download it anyway when I get home..... :beer:

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I didn't notice that! I'll have to try it. It seems to say it will make it compatible with 4x -RW media.

Mark

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Yep tried the update ZL10 1416 and my toshiba still works like a toaster, I am sending mine back to Toshiba for repair!

Repair lol what the fudge are they gonna do take out the crappy DVD writer and replace it with another brand new Crappy Toshiba DVD writer :suicide:

F!TOSHIBA :devil:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Ironduke,

If you're unhappy with the Toshiba have you thought about trying to get a refund and exchange it for something like the Panasonic EH50 or Sony 510? Or is the machine out of warranty?

9. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't if it's been discussed before but the people having probs with media do they all use the Z10 software like the peeved ID as opposed to Z11 which mine is and have no problems. As far as I can assertain there has been no machine software updates only updates for the the actual DVD drives. :beer:

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Well, my machine has been fine, and I'm ZL11....

I downloaded the 1416 upgrade, but I can't successfully burn the image to a disc. I couldn't with the 1415 either, I was kindly sent one by "Tobyjuggler". I'm burning it as an image. Tried different discs, different burners, and different writing software (Record Now and Easy CD creator), each time I get an unknown error when trying to burn. Tried both as a .img and renaming it to .iso. I was going to try a Nero next, but there aren't any trials available currently.. Not sure why I can't create these.

Mark

11. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mark,
    I'm not home till tomorrrow evening, if you havn't got any one to get you a copy by then leave a message for me and I'll send you a disk and a copy of Nero if iI can find it(I'm sure I got more than 1 version) :beer:

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Great- thanks for the offer, I may need to ask you for this...
    Mark

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    still got 2 months of the warranty but there is no way RGB direct are gonna give me my money back or swap it for a different brand now, all they did was point me to Toshibas repair phone line, bunch a Chavs :thumbsdow

I would love to swap this peice of crap for a 510 hell maybe even a 99 quid one from ASDA would be more reliable

14. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try the Verbatim disks and see if I get better results. I think my machine is out of warranty so returning it isn't an option. Given the very rapid pace of development of this technology, maybe I should be thinking about upgrading now.

One thing I have noticed, the errors are always on the outer part of the disk, ie the second hour of a two hour SP recording. I had one last night, about 85% of the way through the disk. Popped it into my Thomson DVD player and it played perfectly.

So far the only thing which has been absolutely 100% successful is TDK ScratchProof DVD-RW, but I want to use -R rather than -RW since they are faster to dub and the person I send all my recordings to can just dump them after watching rather than sending them back (she's in the USA).

jim

15. Jungle

Jungle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought 100 Sony DVD-R from Makro and have used nearly half of that. I have not got any problem with Sony disc so far. I have also tried a few other cheap discs, such as Data wirte x4 (red), Bulkpeg x4 (blue) and Hyundai x4 (silver). They all works when you recording. But after the recording you can't read it (disc error) on the same mechine, although you can play back on a stand alone DVD player or on a PC.