Tosh XS32, help with 'DVD Compatible Mode' please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Skwarei's, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Skwarei's

Skwarei's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Can anyone advise on Tosh's 'DVD Compatible Mode' please (p162 in manual).

I have made several recordings to HD with DVD Compatible mode switched to 'Off'. According to the manual, the 'Off' setting is for recording content that will NOT be copied to DVD-R/RW.

I wish to record to HD, edit out ads etc, and then copy to DVD (-R or -RW) to allow playback on any DVD player.

I have edited my recordings on HD to make a new 'playlist' and then created a DVD/-RW which played back OK on my aging Pioneer DV444 even with DVD Compatible Modes set to 'Off'.

My question is. Is it really necessary for DVD Compatible Mode to be set to 'On (Mode I)' when recording to HD before editing and then writing to DVD's???

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I am confused by this particular setting. Maybe some of the more experienced forum members can shed some light on this??

Thanks

2. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried both off and mode I and to be honest, can see no difference. The manual is extremely cryptic and I certainly had no problems creating DVD-Rs in 'off' mode.

3. Skwarei's

Skwarei's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cuseeme. My experience has been the same, however I was concerned that I may be burning DVDs that might not be compatible on friends/families players.

I will however record in Mode I, just in case.

Cheers

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    the on mode makes sure that the recording bitrate and resolution stays within the DVD standard, if you record all your stuff with DVD mode on u know all u have to do is hi speed dub to DVDR disc

if you leave it off u will eventually burn a disc that doesnt conform and may not play

5. Skwarei's

Skwarei's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks very much. Guess I have been lucky so far dubbing to DVD with AV Mode set to 'off'. Have set it to Mode I now. So guess I shouldn't have any problems in the future.

6. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    it also depends on your DVD player, some are smarter then others and play hybrids