1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS32 has just died

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Aug 11, 2004.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDD in my new Tosh XS32 has just died. I have had it less than 2 weeks. I am not amused.

The HDD is just clicking and error 7061 has appeared.

RGB are picking it up tomorrow but will not dispatch a new one until they recieve the faulty one back in stock, so I will not get a new one till Monday.

Luckily when I transfered progs over from my XS30 via RAM I didn't wipe them. Most programmes recorded in the 2 weeks I have had it are repeated.

Except ! West Wing. If anyone has the first 3 episodes on their HDD and would be willing to send them me on RAM, I would be eternally grateful. I would obviously pay for the RAM disc and inconvenience.

:lease:

pm me if you can help

I may start dubbing to -r rather than waiting for a full disc's worth.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    commiserations.....

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hear that Bobbles - and I thought my setup issues were frustrating! - did you take out an extra warranty?

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I hope it isn't a sign that they are using cheaper HDD in the new model. I never heard of a single HDD failure on forums with the XS30.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all come with a manufacturers 1 year warantee, send off the card !

but it was within the first 28 days so I am entitled to a new one.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fair enough - as it such a seemingly fragile/complex piece of kit I am tempted to sort out a warranty for it - rgb didn't offer me one when I phoned and I forgot to ask. I might give them a call and see what they say... good luck with yours - sorry they are out of stock, I kust have gottent the last one yesterday afternoon!

7. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It would be interesting to find out what HDD Toshiba use in their DVD Recorders. Toshiba do make some very good high performance HDDs drives for server systems which are designed for use 24/7 use, unlike the more common HDDs we find in desktop PC's. However it wouldn't surprise me if they are not even using their own HDD's as they cost more than some other brands , but you never know.

Anyone willing to take theirs apart and have a look :)

Hopefully your machine was an oddy and it's not going to be indicative of all the recorders sold.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 yr warantee from rgb is £79

how do you know it was the last one, they told me i would have a replacement by monday

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you - I presumed as they weren't giving you a new one until monday that they didn't have any in stock... doesn't seem fair to make you wait that long really, you have already been inconvenienced. They should send you out a replacement at the same time as collecting your faulty one, as there is no risk to them as they should be covered by their supplier.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is a relief

I ended up having a right argument with the supervisor. They wanted to repair it. I said no because it was less than 2 weeks old, they agreed to give me a new one.

Anyway, they are coming to pick mine up tomorrow, now you would think they would bring the new one with them, logical?

well no, they have to submit the old one back into the stock??? before they can issue a new one. They said they would not have it back in time to dispatch a new one tomorrow so they can only dispatch it on Friday, hence the monday delivery.

Pathetic really as it would save them a delivery charge

11. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No-one should need a separate warranty for this kind of failure. None of them are worth the paper they're printed on imho. The Sale of Goods Act is backing enough, along with the credit card operator whose guarantee will get you a fix/new one.

PS: I once heard that Dixons made 90% of their profits through the sale of extended warranties to clots who didn't need them...

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had heard that the sales people make most of their commision from extended warantees

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The value of an extended warranty though surely comes after the first year - if your machine breaks down after 18months you are looking at a large repair bill or a replacement... I have never taken one out before but am slightly worried by such a complex bit of kit as the XS32.

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope extended warantees usually start from the day of the policy.

No point taking it out now, probably better off looking towards the end of the policy. Usually get better deals direct from insurance companies, such as domestic and general.

15. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbles, if it's not too late make a note of its serial number (just in case they try to con you by repairing it before Monday).

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

will do

they haven't picked it up yet