Tosh XS32 - Finalised DVD-R Player Compatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ekko Star, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Burnt a couple of DVD-R's last night, the machine accepted them fine, Ritek G04 and Fuji's.

All ok in the Tosh.

However, they do not play in Sony players :mad:

From my experience anything that plays in a Sony will be be very universally compatible. Although, the discs did play fine in Samsung & Panasonic players.

The Panasonic recorders do produce fully Sony compatible finalised discs, which is a big plus for them.

I will try tonight without authoring Toshiba menu's on the DVD-R's as they may be the root cause of the problem. Otherwise it is simply the writing strategy Toshiba has employed in it's software. :thumbsdow

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which sony player

My 735 plays tosh finalised ones fine!

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Ns900

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Ekko Star, what bitrate did you use on your disks? In some instances DVD players may refuse to recognise a DVD-R with low bitrates - this is fairly rare these days but I have no experience with the NS900.

You may also like to change your blank media type - some disks that may burn well in a Panasonic may not do so well in a Toshiba. Change your media and these problems will disappear.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    SP mode bit rate 4.6. So nothing unusual there.

Media is fine. Tosh does not spit them out.

When burnt in my E20 works no probs on the Sony's. When burnt in Tosh, does not work on Sony's.

6. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. My experience is quite different.

DVD-Rs created on my Panasonic E85 do NOT play on my Sony NS900. I assumed that this was because the Panny did not create an AUDIO_TS directory (usually empty, of course) on the discs. I have noted in the past that DVDs with no AUDIO_TS directory do not play in my NS900, and I remember reading a Usenet article about 2 years ago in which someone allegedly in the know confirmed that this was the issue. Of course, it could all be rubbish... To confirm this I'll need to burn DVD-Rs on my PC with and without an AUDIO_TS directory. Up to now I've always used the +R/+RW formats on my PC.

BTW, I'm using Sony branded DVD-Rs - I haven't checked the media type yet, though.

Steve

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I will check on the PC if it has created an AUDIO_TS folder.

However, I'm pretty sure this is not the problem.

If I burn a DVD on the PC using STOMP using the wizard it will work on a Sony. If I burn it manually without the wizard it will not.

This is by creating both VIDEO & AUDIO folders. The issue is something to do with write strategy of the software itself.

What version software do you have on your RDXS-32 ?

8. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for misleading you, I don't have an RDXS-32. My response was intended to illustrate that not all DVD-Rs produced on Panasonic DVD recorders are playable on the NS900. I was looking at things from the NS900 perspective rather than the recorder's and wondering whether the Sony player is the oddity.

Can you get any useful info about your DVD-Rs from dvdinfo?
    (Look on www.videohelp.com for info on this tool if you are unfamiliar with it.)

Steve

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yes have that software but not sure how that can change things for the Tosh !

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Have checked DVD-R and there is only a VIDEO_TS folder on it.

I then copied it to my PC and reburnt to another DVD-R with an AUDIO_TS folder as well.

The newly formed disc does work in the Sony NS900. Means to me it must be the Toshiba write strategy :rolleyes:

This is a way around it but the Panasonic will form a disc that will play straightaway in a Sony.

It does suggest that the Panasonic is the better machine to produce 'more' compatible DVD-R's.

11. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there not a way to upgrade the software/firmware on this machine? Others can be upgraded by "playing" a ISO disc.

12. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I have your problem, anything I burn on the Tosh with DVD compatability mode enabled, will not work on My old APEX DVD player, it just pauses at the start.

however they work great on my new pacific and Kiss DVP-500

The problem can be rectified on a PC, the movie itself isnt the problem I dont think its the Ifo files,

I simply use DVDLab and import the Vobs, DVDLab then joins and Demultiplexes them back to an mpeg Video and audio stream, I then create the propper VIDEO_TS in DVDLab, and burn, it then plays on all players.

I would have to say its Toshiba's formatting of the disc contents, something is not quite right, I have noticed a movie with no menus will have less Ifo and BUP files made by the tosh then DVD Lab

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Which is why I say it's disc writing strategy. Stomp and Nero will write exactly the same files taken from a XS32 burnt disc, even without the AUDIO_TS folder and they will play in the Sony NS900.

Taken direct from the Tosh they won't. I guess there will be quite a few brands of players that won't like it's disc's either.

There's defo a bug somewhere, probably software or maybe hardware. Does anyone know what make of drive they use inside ?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Inside the Toshiba - it should be a Hitachi-LG.

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Cheers Rasczak, think it'll still be software thing though.

Not that major a problem as I don't tend to use DVD-R's direct from my recorder anyway. I tend to copy them to PC and then duplicate (if necessary) from there. Thinking about it this is what I mainly use DVD-R for, ie transfer medium to PC. May start using -RW from now.

The E500 for me does represent an awesome machine in that it can be networked and files streamed across to your PC. I think I may be offered it at about £1k (phew!) gonna have to think about that one ?!?

Tosh is still a very good machine though and it's very interesting playing around with some of it's features, makes you feel well in control. It is still IMHO a superior machine to the E85.

16. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have exactly the same problem. Discs from my XS32 won't play on my NS900.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.