Tosh XS32 & copying/editing from VHS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cuseeme, Aug 7, 2004.

1. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I admit it. I must have hit the age at which technology confuses me. I'm totally stumped at how to achieve the following:
    Copy VHS tape with 2 films to HD
    Edit in to two films, top and tail recording
    Burn both to DVD-R

Now, I've managed the first bit. I *think* I've chaptered it and created a playlist but recording the playlist to DVD whilst ensuring the thing fits is beating me. At this stage, one film is record LP and one SP. I'm trying to dub and convert the bitrate so its all LP and thus fits. Can't work out how. I can get a screen up which lets me select a bitrate but it doesn't seem to remember the change.

Also, how do I create menus? Are they automatic? Everyhting I've done so far seems to end up with no menu and I have to skip to the different chapters manually.

Could some kind soul do an idiots guide to recording something, tidying it, splitting it and burning it at a given bit rate with a menu to make it usable?

Yes, I've read the manuals over and over and I still don't get it. I've been doing this on a PC for a few years now with no trouble but this is beating me :confused:

2. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting a bit further (I think). Still no menus but 2 films converted and recorded. Do I need to finalise DVD-R disks?

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you wish to play discs on another player, then... yep :)

By the way, I don't have the RDXS32 - though a Sony GX3 (with an offer that I couldn't refuse :laugh: ) stepped into the fold, a couple of days ago - but if you don't get a reply from a fellow RDX owner, I'll search for a PDF manual and try to help. For now, good luck! :smashin:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
  5. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. I might do that although I've managed a bit more progress - didn't realise finalising also does the menus. Once you've done it all it becomes a bit more obvious!

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cuseeme,Which questions are left unanswered?

7. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's mainly the basic flow. As best as I can work it out I need to:
    1. Capture VHS tape to HDD
    2. Use chapters to seperate individual programs and tidy things up
    3. Create a playlist of the bits I want OR delete the bits I don't want and risk fragmentation
    4. dub to DVD-R using conversion option if I need to change any bitrates
    5. finalise to create the menus/make it readable elsewhere

Is this right?
    Still oustanding questions are:
    1. Are chapters preserved when writing to DVD-R? The ones I have done so far (usually via a dub/rate connversion) seem to lose them and I get one big file.
    2. Where is the best place to name things so the DVD-R and chapters have meaninful names? Ideally I'd want a title of say '2 Movies' and chapters of 'Movie 1' and 'Movie 2'.

I suppose my biggest problem is there seem to be many ways to do the same thing and I wonder if my workflow (to borrow a photography phrase) is optimised?

Thanks for any insights etc.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    rate dubbling gets rid of chapters!

Do the rate dubbing from HDD to HDD then chapter it then burn it!

if I had 2 movies I would do this as 2 titles.

I would work out times to determine bit rates. I would record at that bit rate to avoid re endcoding
    I would then title them on HDD
    I would chapter them using chapter edit and label them whilst doing this (chapter name blank rather than having to clear the auto chapter name if you do it any other way) (if film Id be tempted to auto-chapter every 5 mins)
    Would then burn both titles to DVD. With no reencoding the title and chapter labels are kept.

I think its best to get things how you want them on HDD first. Then if you want to burn mutiple copies its easier

9. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it all a bit academic for movies? A whole movie pretty much fills a DVD-R so there's rarely room for two on a disc.

10. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent info - thanks very much. I'll have another go.

11. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're old VHS tapes (anything up to 20 years) so the look exactly the same (or at least just as bad) at the LP setting so I can easily for two average sized movies on a single DVD-R. If I was recording off-air then I'd agree that one movie per disk is the way to go.

12. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As long as you're happy :). I find that I don't want to lower the quality any further even on the older LP-recorded VHS material...