Tosh xs32 and NTL/Pace

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by happychap, Jan 9, 2005.

1. happychap

happychap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got the IR blaster working for this? Both toshiba tech support and a site about a product called 'redeye' give the 0042 code, but there's a problem - it very frequently seems to do the number twice - example: if you want 101 as the channel, it comes up 110011 (and the pace just takes the first 3 digits, so I end up with 110!).

Anyone got a solution or better code?

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the RedEye product (http://www.redremote.co.uk) because my XS32 wouldn't work with my Pace STB without it. RedEye manual tells you to use the code 0327.

Do you have the RedEye? The new version of it has a specific XS32-mode http://www.redremote.co.uk/xs32.html) (though mine works find without using this mode).

If you don't have the RedEye - check through their site - if you need it then you will never get the XS32 to talk to it without it.

3. happychap

happychap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried 0327 - no joy - but I've got the pace box with the blue remote, and redeye says you shouldn't use their product with it, so that's a dead end for me :(

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could tip cup coffee down the back of the pace and ask ntl for shiny new samsung tuner (they wont replace it if it doesn't have a fault) :) - it works with samsungt without an adaptor

5. happychap

happychap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do they always replace with a Samsung then? Does it have more than one Scart out?

What is the actual model number, so I can find out more about it...

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not always (depends what guy has on his van) - but Samsung is replacing Pace (wont be any new pace boxes)

Samsung has In & Out scarts (RGB) & it works without Red-Eye (uses std infra-red) i'll try find model no (think ntl only do one samsung model)

If you tell them your problem (and you're nice to them), they 'might' swap it for you - but i understood they only exchange faulty units - i seen them on ebay cheap

7. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your STB uses the blue remote (Samsung or Pace 4001/4010), Red-Eye will not help you. It ought to work direct using code 0042, but I have heard of problems with the Pace STBs - this is down to Toshiba to fix - from memory I think when I looked at the IR codes the tosh sends on code 0042 I noticed that they had messed up the Rc5 toggle bits.
    At present, I believe Samsung STBs are only being used in Bromley areas (black remote), so you will never get a Samsung if you have a Pace with a blue remote. This may change some time in future as I believe the Samsung is compatible with both areas but they haven't done the software for it yet.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have samsung box (blue remote) & i live East midlands - also worth noting, it uses same remote code as pace (non red-eye)

9. kevtek

kevtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba RDSX32 and NTL STB. DI4001 They comunicate via the supplied IR adapter connected to the back of the Toshiba and placed in front of the NTL STB.

The code needed for the setup of the DI4001 is 0042.(Supplied by Toshiba Tech Support)

This gives rise to a problem.....the NTL box sometimes generates two characters per single key press, giving rise to incorrect channel selection.

IE. 140 pressed gives 140 or 114 or 144 or even on occasion 0.

Not good if you need reliable channel selection say for Videoplus or timer recording.

The cure.

Unplug the IR Transmitter and open the case (just prise the case open with a suitable screwdriver).
    Once open solder a 10v 47uf electrolytic capacitor inside. In parallel with the IR Diode. (This is available from Maplin cost 10p but I robbed mine from a old radio.)

There is plenty of room inside as the case only houses a small circuit board with the cable connected one end and the IR diode at the other. (Make sure you connect it the right way round.) plus to plus.

Clip the case back together.

Re connect.

Mine is now 100% reliable.

Hope this helps someone.

10. happychap

happychap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one! Any chance you could post a piccie or diagram showing exactly where to solder for us non-techie types?

11. kevtek

kevtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happychap.

You won't need a diagram. Once you have carefully prised open the box. All will be clear. Good luck.

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Anyone other than kevtek tried this yet??

13. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well I won't need to take my dongle apart! My original NTL stb was the Silver Pace di300 (crap one with the blue remote, no RF out, 1 scart socket, no phone L/R audio out) I was getting the 110011 problem.

Well anyway, I ordered an NTL mirror sub and the installer arrived the other day. First shock when he opened the box with the new STB was the size of the thing. Its the dimension of a two dvd cases one sitting on top of the other flat on a table. ie....its tiny! Second shock was when I looked at the back. RF in and out, L/R phono audio out, TV scart and VCR scart sockets...and...SPDIF optical audio output. Third shock was that the Tosh remote dongle works flawlessly with this STB. Did about 10 test timer records and the STB changed to the correct channel every time.

Woohoo!!

The new STB is going into the cinema room and the old di300 is going to the other tv which we actually got the mirror sub for.

The model of the new STB is Pace DC220 IIRC

14. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Before anyone gets too excited, these STBs are only available in Ireland..!