1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS32 - An idea for the fan noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nicky, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The fan noise is begining to bug me. Especially as it seems to run constantly when the rest of the machine is doing very little and shouldn't be getting too hot.

Half of me feels like resurecting an idea from early in the PC days. Opening the case and installing a thermistor in series with the fan. Alternatively, it might be possible to swap the fan for a quieter one.

Anyone got any idea how stupid this is on a 1-10 scale? (Where 1= pretty safe and 10 = why don't you save time and just put it in the bin now.) Is the fan there to keep the disk drive cool or the chip doing the video coding/decoding? Anyone had the lid off?

Cheers,

Nick

2. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a fanmate on mine to slow down the fan speed and eliminate quite a lot of noise, the default setup doesn't seem to have any temperature control for the fan, so it just runs flat out.
    Most of the heat is coming from the power supply which is located right in front of the fan, this section is divided from the rest of the box by a perspex divider with tiny ventilation holes in it(i think this is to increase airflow across the power supply section) the air is pulled in from the opposite side of the case flows across the hard drive, DVD etc. then passes through the divider which accelerates the air flow and out through the fan.

The hard drive is a Maxtor and its not the quietest either.

4. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats right one of those and a molex power splitter to take power for the fan from the hard drive power cable.

Try overclockers they are cheaper than that.

5. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had the lid off last night and absolutely agree with your view of the airflow nicko.

I'm going to try replacing the fan with a super quiet PC one - given that some units seem almost completely silent and others quite noisy I think a decent fan should solve it. The power supply also gets hotter than I expected - I'm a little nervous about lowering airflow more than I have to.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Nick

6. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Replaced fan with a supposedly low noise PC job. Fitted perfectly but actually seems to be louder - not happy.

Back to the thermistor option - just need one with the right temperature resistance profile. Alternatively, if anyone knows a source of REALLY quiet 50mm PC fans I'd love to know. The one I fitted was recommended by Quiet PC and is claimed to operate at 18 decibles.

Nick

7. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you just never know its a hit and miss process.

8. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicky,
    Did you use the Gell mounts for killing the case vibration when fitting your fan?

9. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just joined the forums and seen your thread, my Toshiba RD-XS32 arrived yesterday and is very quiet.
    In fact its in our bedroom replacing a VCR and my wife is fanatical about noise and she says its quiet, and cannot hear it.

I have noticed no real noise until I get right next to it.
    Maybe there has been a firmware or hardware revision to resolve your problem?

10. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There definitely seems to be a wide spread of noise levels. There do not seem to be any firmware updates that I've seen. I think it just comes down to the quality of the fan you happen to get.

I didn't use the gel mounts. I've got a selection of thermistors turning up tomorrow that I think should kill the noise fairly effectively. If they don't work the gel mounts are next, followed by buying a proper AV cabinet to put it in.

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a silly question but are you sure the original fan is working properly.

I could hear the fan on the XS30 but on the 32 from 4m I can not hear anything.

12. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stuck a 300ohm (@25C) thermistor into the fan power lead last night. Attached the thermistor to the power supply as this seems to be the hottest component. The thermistor is a little higher resistance than I wanted - the fan resistance (impedance?) is about 180ohm so this is lowering the voltage across the fan to about 5V - maybe a little too low. The resistance drops quickly with tempterature so this shouldn't be a huge deal. I hope.

On a noise front it seems to work well. Fan spins, but slower and all but eliminates fan noise. Downside is that airflow is clearly well down (surprise). Testing it last night the air coming out of the machine is definitely a little warm. The thermistor is definitely doing its job too. The fan speed accelerated noticably after the machine had been running a few minutes. Overall I'm very pleased but I need to spend a day in the house with it running to check it isn't going to catch fire.

13. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you try those gel mounts or gaskets Nicky?