1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh XS-32 and DVD Compatible Mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by OrbitUK, Jan 24, 2005.

1. OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Question for you all. I generally record to the HDD at a rate of 6.0 to 6.8. If I decide to keep the program recorded I will archive this on to DVD. Depending on the length of the recording I can either do a straight burn to DVD or I will have to Rate Conversion Dub to DVD (losing some quality but not too bad). Reading through the S-VHS thread i notice the mention of the DVD Compatible Mode vs Rate Conversion Dubbing. Can anyone explain the DVD Compatible mode and its use on programs I intend to keep? The manual does not go into detail and my understanding of this mode is that it allows programs to be compatible with DVD recordings?? Fine but it hasnt been of use to me so far (havent tried it). Is it any better to use than my current method of archiving?
  2. redsox_mark

Oct 20, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bath, England
    I talked to Toshiba engineers about this, and they weren’t totally clear. This DVD compatibility mode has something to do with Multilanguage support on NICAM broadcasts. I have mine setup to default to DVD compatible mode, (Type I).

In practice, I don’t think we have any of these broadcasts in the UK, so it doesn’t matter if you set this or not… at least as long as the rate you use is not between 3.0 and 3.8. So in your case, if you record at say 6.0, what I think is happening is regardless of if you set it to “DVD compatible” or not, the recording is compatible, and it will support doing a later high speed dub.

If you record between 3.0 and 3.8, for some reason the XS32 can support full resolution to the HDD/RAM, but not in DVD-Video mode. So in these cases, if you had “DVD compatible” set to off, it would be forced to do a rate conversion (in half resolution I believe). Note if in this 3.0 to 3.8 case you had “DVD compatible” on, it would record in half resolution from the start (poorer quality, but then you could high speed dub it).

So for you, just stay at 4.0 or above (for your original recordings) and it won’t matter. Or below 3.0 doesn’t matter either, as it will be half resolution in both cases.