Tosh xa1 problem disc ..can i get a refund ?

martian1

Hi all i just got u-571 hddvd. last night i tried it but had a nightmare with it ,into 1st chapter and it sort of froze slightly and sound was lost,when it corrected itself it was out of sync.It kept doing this sync getting worse every time.Basically its unwatchable,i tried cleaning it etc but no better. This is the 1st time i have had a bad issue using m/c.The firmware version is 2.0.Can i send disc back for a refund.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Oh dear, that sounds ominous :(

I have this dics and player so will give it a try tonight.

martian1

Let me know how you get on, i am asking for a refund...Pretty gutted really as i thought i had escaped these errors.I put other titles on after and from what i saw and heard they seem fine.As you have a similar set up a test would be great :smashin: .Do you have firmware 2.0.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Oh what joy!

U-571 froze after 44 seconds, as did my XA-1. I had to unplug it to get it to respond and when I tried again, I got the HDMI ERROR 1 message.
I now get this message for every HD-DVD.

I am off to look for a high building from which I can drop this piece of Toshiba junk:mad:

martian1

Yep thats it...:( it got to the bit just after attack on tanker as i was looking forward to the depth charge barrage..just as it was getting into it...arggg!!! fook..g bo£$"?cks sound dropped instead of charges..:rotfl:
You chuck yours from a high rise i will cushion its fall with mine.:mad:
I will test more tonight,did you have issues with other discs or just this one ?

Nic have you watched full movie..

Nic Rhodes

Yup, player fine from beggining to end but was probably 1.3 firmware at the time. Used it in the early days for BD / DTheatre / HD DVD comparisons (July / Aug 2006). Not seen any real issues on this disc elsewhere so don't know what to suggest tbh.

martian1

Strange..but its much better 1st chapter still get dropout but from chapter 2 its perfect.Sound great as well.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I ran into freezing problems during chapter 6 (I think) of Children of Men, so I chucked the disc in the washing up bowl, dried it off and hey presto, it worked. I can't have scrubbed hard enough though as it froze again during chapter 19, so I gave it another soak it again it worked.

Maybe Toshiba can add a dishwasher attachment to all their HD-DVD players.

All sing along "HD-DVDs live longer with Calgon"

martian1

Well i have had this reply today regarding hd dvd's i think i will be using them again :smashin: just have to watch which titles.
Wonder if a dishwasher might work better :D

Hi Martin,

I am not sure if a new disc will work or not. I guess it is worth a try
:eek:)

There has been some problems with Toshiba HD DVD players (and also
X-box).
For instance Children of Men couldn't play on those two either.

But maybe this is just a bad HD DVD, so we will send you a new disc.
When
you receive it please let me know if it works or not.

:eek:)
Mette,
Team AxelMusic

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom