1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh X32 vs Pioneer 420

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barzo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I am now rid of my Tosh X32, and missing it terribly. :(

Basically, whatever the problems were with my DVD drive mechanism, they got worse. It had got to the point where the drive was not reading any of its own authored discs properly, be they from Maxwell, TDK or Infiniti (enough of a spread of quality to suggest it was not the discs!). It would write to the disks, finalise them and play them UNTIL the disc was ejected from the mechanism. After that, it decided it could not read them, froze, etc. All this despite the discs working without problem on my Pioneer 575 player and my laptop DVD-rom drive! It also pulled up a few 'unexpected errors' on RAM discs, and, annoyingly, would play back all discs I had authored on a Panny e55 recorder.

Took it back to RS, who confirmed that the Toshs are selling like hotcakes (no wonder) and that it would be difficult to get me a replacement (I only bought it in June, so repair was not an option I favoured). So, I was offered a full refund or an exchange machine. Worrying about a new Tosh bought from somewhere else doing the same thing (or worse, like the dead HD issue!), I opted for a Pioneer 420, as I actually have very few DVD-Ram discs, and even fewer recordings on them, and have no use (as yet) for the DV input (no D-cam) or prog scan (as my DVD player is prog scan).

I'm beginning to wonder if I have made a grave mistake. I really miss the Tosh. The Pioneer seems very basic in editing features compared to the power of the Tosh - no 'End Time' and 'Auto Power off' options for unattended recordings (unless using the timer), no automatic chapter division on the HDD, no definable chapter thumbnails (which can be copied to disc), no user defined backgrounds for menus - the list goes on. Worst of all, widescreen material can not be copied using the 'Copy List' feature if recorded in LP (4hr mode) or beyond. Dubbing from HDD to HDD does not appear to be possible, and only one copy list can exist at a time (it seems), as opposed to the multiple playlists (unless I am missing something).

In its favour, it is slim and well built, and seems to have a good drive mechanism. It is also easier to use, due to (a) good menu structures and (b) considerably less options than the Tosh. Lots of options for tweaking input picture, which were missing from the UK version of the Tosh (but in the US version), but have not had a change to play with them to see what difference they make.

Just thought I'd post this for people having a dilemma about which DVD recorder to purchase. I may well end up taking the Pioneer back to RS, and waiting for a Tosh to come back in stock (however long that might be!). Will keep everyone posted.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take it back, get a refund then buy the tosh again online.

3. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi m8, sorry to hear about your problems, but RS do have Tosh 32's in their Exeter, Leeds and another which I forget the name, ask your branch to have them ship you a new unit. May be worth a try

Good Luck

Taz (soon to be a proud owner of a Tosh 32, just waiting on John Lewis to get it in for me) happy chappy soon