1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh Widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pburgess, Jul 18, 2002.

1. pburgess

pburgess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought my first widescreen TV, a Toshiba picture frame 32 inch. Naively I thought my impressive new TV would switch back and forth automatically to give me the correct picture box as it was being transmitted. It’s apparent that doesn’t happen (or am I missing something) even on the auto widescreen setting.

OK so I’ll change it manually. Trouble is, pretty well everything but 4:3 looks distorted on the screen

Wide – fat people, even watching Pearl Harbour last night on Sky Box Office
    Superlive – also fat and no, it doesn’t hold the correct proportions at the centre of the image
    Cinema – possibly no distortion, but I lose considerable amount of the top and bottom of the picture (logically this should not happen when watching a wide–screen image, as the loss should be at the edges).
    14:9 – how the hell do I know if I am watching a 14:9 broadcast?

Above all I want to watch a true image. Does this mean widescreen is largely a waste of time without a DVD (I don’t)?

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have you set you Sky box to widescreen??

Paul

3. pburgess

pburgess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh! I didn't know I could do this! back to the manual.

Thanks

Peter

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting your Sky box certainly helps, and if you change the aspect ratio manually on the Tosh TV, it tends to remember it. I found out though that if you just watch terrestrial BBC1 and change the ratio to 4:3... Then go to ITV, the ratio will change automatically to 14:9. Now you have auto aspect ratio switching again.

The Tosh TV is a lot better than my Panasonic for recognising ratios though, on MTV Base my Panasonic would always zoom into the image, where the Tosh would keep its 4:3 ratio all the time.