1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh WH36 series

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by blossom, Mar 11, 2004.

1. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Finally got the nod from the other half today to go for a new telly and after many weeks of deliberation between RPTV and Plasma I have finally decided to go for a Tosh WH36.

Can't decide whether to go for the 51" or the 42".

Is the 51" really worth the extra £400.00?

My viewing distance is approx 9.5 feet.

The rest of my system is Toshiba based with a SD220E DVD player and V752UK VCR with panasonic Sky Box, 5.1Amp and speaker system so should be no problem intergrating with the TV.

I have been searching the net for the best deals on these two models and the best that I can come up with that are in stock are Digitaldirect for the 51" @ £1364.95 and total digital @ £999.00 for the 42".

Anybody got any ideas?

Would I get an extra 12 months warranty on a RPTV if I paid with Barclaycard?

I am now chomping at the bit and want to place an order first thing in the morning.

2. gan*

gan*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 42wh36, its really good. Firstly it seemed too big for my room, but now im used to it, its great. Im really happy with the picture. The picture is defn better than the lower priced plasmas.

I applied for the extra 12 months warranty from barclaycard, but haven't heard from them yet.

3. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have ordered the 42WH36 today. Can't wait although I am going to have to for 2 weeks due to the lack of stock.

Can you tell me what it's like for watching the footy?

4. Turver

Turver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am thinking of this model, I rang Barclaycard and they said they would not extend the warranty on RPTV's or Plasma or any tv over 32" screen. Hope that is helpful.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It depends what you are useing at the moment.........
    I went from a 32" to a 42" and thought that was big........now i've had it just over a year and it looks normal now.......infact it looks a bit small, so i am going for a bigger one.
    I was looking at the 51" and thought that would do, untill today when i saw the 57".
    The 51" just did not give me the same sort of WOW factor i had when i went from the 32" to the 42"....then i saw the 57" and thought YES.....evern the misses was impressed and said " i want it"...so have now put an order in.
    My sitting distance was 9' from the 42", so will prob be just under that for the 57", as i cannot put it any further back....there's a wall in the way......i could knock it down, but i doubt the nieghbours would be inpressed, with my TV in their front room.

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Chris,

I know what you mean about the WOW factor. Took the other half to see the Tosh's last week and saw a 42WH36 with a SKY feed looking really good . Unfortunately next to it was the 57WH36 with the worst RF feed you've ever seen, so didn't impress her that much. Also it is just too big for our room. I could have got away with the 51" but decided to walk before I can run.

Have you got the 42WH36 at present?

If so could you post your settings. Also have you got your DVD player hooked up via component or RGB scart.

If there is a massive difference in PQ between component and scart then I will go and buy a component cable before TV arrives.

I have a Tosh sd220 DVD player so no progressive scan output but has components but very happy with its performance on RBG scart up to now.

Let me kno.

Cheers

Paul

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi paul.

At the moment i have the older 42pw23 model.
    i was not sure if i would like these RPTV's so went for a cheap model first, but it gives such a good picture that i want a bigger one.
    I use RGB Via scart at the moment, mainly for the ease of use for the misses and kids, but i find that S-vid give's a better picture.
    There was a disscusion about this a couple of years ago on here, where people found that the Toshiba range gave a better PQ via S-vid than RGB and it seems to still be true on my model..........not sure if they have sorted it out with the WH series, but i'm sure i will find out when it arrives.
    To me the Component input gives the same PQ as S-vid, but of course on the WH36 it will accept a progressive signal, so i will use this and the rest of the family will have to learn how to chage to that input......:devil: .
    I was going to get myself a plasma, but with all the probs of screen burn and gas clouds (i had a hitachi on order) i gave up on that and cancelled it, plus i wanted something bigger and big plasma's are out of my price range at the moment.
    So as i now know what kind of PQ to expect with the Tosh RPTV's i decided to stay with that route at the moment.

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OH i should also like to point out that, before i got the 42PW23, my misses was moaning at all the money i was spending on this stuff and would give the normal girlie talk of " I'd be just as happy watching a portable......i dont care how big it is, as long as i can watch it ".
    When i told her a few months ago, i was thinking of getting a new set, she said " I dont want anything smaller than this one and the PQ better be as good ".
    Its funny how they change their minds once they've had something bigger...:laugh: :rotfl: ;)

9. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Chris,

You're not wrong there mate.

Where did you order your 57" from?

I've taken the best web price I could find from hispek.com which was £949.88 inc delivery with a free subwoofer, but have to wait two weeks as they are out of stock. Not a problem as decorating at present.

They also quoted me £1399.00 delivered incl the sub for the 51".

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I ordered mine from unbeatable, as i have used them before and know they are not to bad.
    I got mine with my barclaycard, so will get them to do a price match once it's turned up.

11. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can anybody tell me whether I should invest in a component cable to feed my 42WH36 ( when it arrives ) from my SD220 or stick with RBG scart.

If so any recommendations on which cable to Buy?

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd say, get a scart cable and use RGB as the Tosh 220 does not output Progressive, so scart would be a lot easier........once you turn the player on the TV will detect, switch to the AV channel and off you go.......it will evern select the right aspect ratio to use for the film.
    With componet you have to get the remote, switch to AV4 and then select the aspect ratio you want........it does not take long, but it is a lot more hassle than the RGB scart connection.
    Of course, once you get a progressive player, you will have to do this, so you get a better PQ, but it should be worth it then.

am i just lazy or what..............:)