1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh *wh08b RPTV - Info for you/Info for me!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Shady Deal, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi good people,
    Have had a 46 model of the above for about three weeks, great set especially now!

Had a small problem with convergence that was fixed by engineer, but he used a special "convergence Menu" that was part of the Service menu, and definately not part of the design menu. It gave him option to do one screen at a time and also an option to copy all Pal to NTSC? I have used on other sets the common posted "Hit yellow teletext key" to do the same sort of thing, but does anyone know how he brought this extra menu up with the remote control?? It made life so much easier and faster, and I would love to add this extra snippet of info to my toolkit so to speak.Please let me know if you have the knowledge.

So many posts have been made about these sets so I would like to add a few comments that may help current or future purchasers:-

1) Red down one side - nearly all the sets will show this to a point if not viewed straight on as the human eye sees this colour better than blue. I though my set had this problem but it was actually a convergence issue. Engineer showed me that by turning the gun down the rest of the screen completly changed and was horrible when the right was pure white. So yes mine is slightly red on the right, slightly blue on the left, but picture great and only I seem to see it.

2) Faint shadows down left side on some pictures - Processing lines, again engineer mad the screen very bright and you can see the slight bands, nothing wrong with the screens but if you have a well focused set for what ever reason you may see this. Again does not affect enjoyment of picture.

3)Geometry - Some amendments are made via the green grid on the convergence grid. If you are in service mode and are happy with your screen setup but want to do the convergence setup, only move the blue and red guns.

These sets are great, just about everything can be adjusted to your taste by a good engineer, just make sure before you buy one that should you require service, your dealer is capable, and you will be well happy.

My engineer was brilliant and showed/taught me a lot apart from the remote contol sequence to get to that convergence menu!! If anyone has any further questions let me know and I will answer if I can.

Apologies for the long post

Regards

2. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Mark,

I think this is what your looking for;
    Power up your set.
    Press MUTE on your remote and release.
    Press MUTE on your remote and hold. While holding the MUTE button, go to your set and press the MENU button on front panel. Release both buttons.

then press 7 to enter the convergence grids

To Copy the PAL Convergence grid settings to NTSC try the following.
    When in service menu, just press the ' F ' key and the ' 7 ' key simultaneously and the following menu will appear : (the F key is the topmost key on the left of the remote control)

Adjust PAL 4/3
    Adjust PAL 16/9
    Copy PAL to others
    Adjust NTSC 4/3
    Adjust NTSC 16/9
    Copy NTSC to others

to exit press the "Yellow" key

3. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply!! That sure looks like the menu at the bottom of your post!!

I didn't think that the Key 7 worked on British Tv's??. I can get hold of service manuals ok at a cost, would it explain the sequence in those?? I have never used the extra "menu" and hope to not have to on my set in the future!! but it did make life easier for the engineer. Thought Superlive was on the menu also but must have only been me hoping!!

Also I believe that after he had finished one screen he used the volume key in the middle of the remote to save. I have never done that before either, neither did he turn the set off, just stanby after he had finished?

Again, thank you for your reply.

Regards

4. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Mark

Sorry for the confusion in my earlier post,
    your quite correct the 7 key is not used to gain entry to the service mode convergence grids, it should be the "Yellow" teletext key.

Got ahead of myself there, but it's definitely the "f" (upper top left) and 7 key to enter the special convergence menu.

As you mentioned I had missed superlive of the list. Guess I should rush less and pay attention to detail.

Correct list follow, after having actually checked on the TV.

1 Adjust PAL wide
    2 PAL Wide to others
    3 Adjust PAL S.Live
    4 Adjust PAL Cinema
    5 Adjust OAL S.Title
    6 PAL to NTSC (Wide)
    7 PAL to NTSC (all)

to exit the menu rekey "f" + 7

Re: Once in convergence mode the keys are as follows

Red- Turn the red grid on /off
    Green- Turn the green grid on/off
    Blue- turn the Blue grid on/off
    Yellow- Enter/exit/save the convergence settings

to move the convergence cursor use the following

2 Up
    3 Cycle colour of the cursor
    4 Left
    6 Right
    8 Down

It seems to be easiest to align the green gun first and then overlay the red and blue in that order.
    But guess its personal taste, I just found the blue much more difficult to see clearly in addition to it being seemingly less well focused. So aligning with a very tightly defined red/green grid became easier

Rgds Mark
    :eek:

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I managed to get into the convergence service mode, move the cursor around and toggle the grids on and off.... but can't see how you actually converge 2 or more colours at these cursor positions (assuming this is possible!).
    Any more snippets of service information are extremely welcome.

The 46WH08 is an incredible TV. I'm so pleased I weakened, cancelled the order for the 40" set and got my family into even more debt.

John