1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh V Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nickoff, Apr 11, 2001.

1. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the budget DVD range do you think the base model Toshiba gives a better picture that the Pioneer 535 ?

Does the Toshiba 200(?) twin tray with HDCD playback, have better picture and sound than the 100e ? (I don't need internal decoders).

The Pioneer 535 has just taken out Australian Sound&Image Magazine budget DVD player of the year award.

:rolleyes:

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had a Pioneer 626D for about 1.5 years now. In January my parents bought a Toshiba 100E. To compare the two i borrowed their Toshiba and connected it to my TV & AMP.

As soon as i put it on, i instantly noticed a difference on both the picture and sound. I was shocked to see how a £200 Toshiba could beat my £400 Pioneer. I was a little angry at first, but since the Toshiba is crap for CD Audio i was not going to swap them. The Picture on the Toshiba was so much sharper and the colours were more vivid. The main reason for this i believe is Toshiba's Super Anti Alias Filter, which adds an extra 40 lines of picture resolution.

I am looking to buy a new DVD Player towards the end of the year and after the comparison of the other two i mentioned, i am ONLY going to buy a Toshiba.

A Friend of mine also owns the 1000 Pound Toshiba 900E and the picture and sound qulaity on that makes my Pioneer look like an SMC (Maplin Job) Budget Player. Mind you, you'd expect that anyway.

As for your other questions, i cannot answer sorry.

3. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GarethH.

The 900 Tosh looks fantastic but its over $3000 OZ !

Toshiba have released an upgraded model to the 1200 (same as UK 100e). Its the 1250 with better remote and a couple of other changes (not nuon). It retails for around $600 OZ and is probable the model I will go for until progressive scan,DVD audio models become a reasonable price in a few years time.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 9000 (older model)is a great player and can be picked up for only £350 multi region. It's performance is stunning and will destroy the performance of the other talked about players,if quality is what you are after. (No scart but in Oz is that an issue?).

On the the more basic players, Toshiba every time. I am a Pioneer owner (and TagM). Guess which one is going to a new honme this week!

Toshiba make great players. I have never owned one but have used / borrowed them extensively.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Nic Rhodes ]

5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out the noise that these players make while in operation.I have a pioneer 636 which I am very happy with but it does make a lot of noise.This isn't too much of a problem for me as its well away from where I sit.I have heard that this is true of other pioneer players and may effect the model you are looking at.