1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh trying some hi-def - How?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by schnipps, Apr 16, 2005.

1. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posted this in the hi-def forum by accident so could a mod please delete, anyway posted again here.

Ok i have had me tosh since January and as of yet have not hooked any hidef stuff up to it nor have i even seen any hidef stuff runing on anything ever.

I have a small collection of hidef stuff on my hard drive. Can someone give me a short, to the point, bulleted list of what i need to do to get this onto the tosh.

Obviously i have to take my pc through to the living room and hook it up, thats about where my knowledge ends.

My pc spec is a amd xp 2400 (2.0ghz) processor with a gigg of ram and a radeon 9800 pro graphics card running xp pro

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi mate since your using the tosh you need to use a vga lead. After that its pretty much simple, turn the res to a res the tv can accept through vga, i think i have mine at 1280*768 and adjust the screen width height using the tv remote. And away you go, i myself have just hooked up my tv with the pc with not much different spec than yours. I have been playing about with some high def clips and they look great. Meet the fookers 720p clip looks amazingly clear and crisp as does the imax clips.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I think it would be best to feed your Toshiba a native 1280x720 @60Hz signal via the VGA, or via a DVI-HDMI cable. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to get the latest drivers for your graphics card & select the 1280x720 resolution on your PC before connecting to your Tosh.

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    1280x720 won't work via VGA on the Toshiba - you must use 1280x768 and it works a treat straight off. HDMI is a different matter - I did get 1280x720 to work but it had quite a lot of overscan - too much and the picture position/width can't be adjusted if I remember in this mode. If you have an ATI card the latest drivers allow you to set customised resolutions including HDTV res without the need for powerstrip anymore.

HDMI is crisper but I actually preferred VGA for HD demos on the Toshiba. HDMI can highlight noise even in HD demos - the Toshiba is that sharp.

6. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i got the vga cable ready and i have quite new drivers for my 9800 pro that allow quite a large amount of resolutions, i will go for 1280x768,,,what refresh do i set it at??? and whats the difference between the 720p and the 1080i clips

7. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I used 60Hz refresh.

8. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The tosh is native 720 so a 720p pic should be better. It does show 1080i pic but will scale it down anyway. 720p clips i have played have looked asowme i just wish more movies where out to buy like this.