Tosh sx-32 + sky set up

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scoobydude, Jul 7, 2004.

1. scoobydude

scoobydude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: I've just bought the Tosh sx-32 after alot of serching and checking out all the review's.Any advice or tip's on using it would be welcome as Im slowly trawling my way through that easy to understand manual!!!!!!!!. The one question I have got is about the sky set up, I have a "pace" digibox and it only lists one number for the brand code in the instructions for it, if it doesen't work on that code or the sky digital code will that mean I can only record one sky channel and then have to switch it over manually? Thanks for any advice Scoobydude

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    All sky digibox remotes are the same!

I used to have a grundig code 1520 I think and it still works on the pace I have now acquired.

So far I record using AV2 and then use the EPG for programming. This has proved a failure as the sky channel in question is frequently a minute early meaning I get the autochange banner over the start. So Ive started to use the STB controller and added minutes b4 and after the show time

3. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently you use the Amstrad code for DRX 100 for all digiboxes, I was told this by customer service.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to operate a Sky Plus box.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't get the Tosh's IR controller to work with my Netgem STB either, despite there being a code for it in the Tosh's installation guide. If you look at the guide closely it lists the codes and then has a "but these still might not work on your box" disclaimer.

You can check the IR controller from the Tosh is transmitting a signal using a digital camera. The IR signal shows up on the screen. Put the Tosh in "Sat controller" mode and use the channel button. Oddly with mine the signal from the Tosh's remote looks completely different from that from the Netgem remote.

I suspect, and this is entirely a guess, that the code you enter into the Tosh only contains information on a subset of transmission characteristics of your stb's remote. Consequently the code doesn't always work and so the disclaimer. Pressumably its not cost effective to gather all the stbs in each market together for testing.

It does seem surprising that they haven't at least got a working system for the sky boxes though. Given the number of these you would think it was worth checking at least these worked.

Nick

6. graemer

graemer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Toshiba RDXS-32 controlling my Nokia 221T fine using the off-board IR (magic eye). The only problem was when I tried to use the timer settings on the Toshiba. I was getting success with any two digit channel (10,11,21 etc), but with single digit channels (1-9) the Nokia was locking and I was recording a blank screen. Calls to Toshiba didn't help.

Whilst playing around I realised that the Nokia box wasn't locking but going into TV release mode and pressing zero on the remote got things back to life again. Basically the Toshiba sends a 0 then number (1-9) IR signal to activate a single digit channel number, so the Nokia was being told to monitor a scart input (tv release) then ignore all other IR signals until another 0 was sent.

Solutions:
    Either do a rogue timer record (to lock the Nokia) for a minute before the real timer record which unlocks the Nokia, then selects required channel.

Or reallocate all required channel to have two digits (ie BBC1 = 11, BBC2 = 12 etc). Which is my perferred route.

Bit of a pain but a small price to pay for having full timer control of the STB. Worth bearing in mind if any other STB's or Sky boxes uses the 0 IR for anything other than channel changing.

Good luck, I'll be trying to get to grips with the rest of the manual over the next few years.....

Graeme.

7. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graeme,

does the 'magic eye' work on your set-up in the 'Sat control' mode?

Cheers,

Nick

8. graemer

graemer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Yes.

Sat Cont button allows me the use the channel up and down to scroll through the Nokia's channels and the numeric keypad to enter a precise number.

These functions worked straight away, the timer was the only problem and that was due to the peculiar trait of the zero signal being sent first.

Good luck with the Netgem, as a Makro card holder, I am very tempted to pick up one.

Graeme.