1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh super live/ cinema picture modes

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dan110, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody use the super live or cinema picture modes on their TV? I have a Tosh 42wt29 RPTV and have been experimenting with super live and cinema modes and I prefer the picture to 16:9 mode but are there any drawbacks to using these modes instead of the standard 16:9 for watching dvds?

Thanks

Dan

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Super Live distorts the picture at the left and right hand sides by stretching these areas a little. There is also some cropping involved at the top/bottom.

Cinema should only really be used in letterbox (non-anamorphic) DVD's. If you prefer to use Cinema mode, you will need to set the DVD Player's aspect ratio to 4:3 in order to preserve the proper screen format on anamorphic DVD's.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super Live: Enlarges the image to fit the screen, stretches the image horizontally holding the correct proportions of the centre image. I use this for watching 4x3 broadcasts.

Cinema: For use with letterbox, videos/films. I don't use this setting.

Wide (16x9): DVDs/Widescreen broadcasts. used alot. :D

If you used Cinema mode this will stretch the image too much (top/bottom) that you will be missing part of the picture.

Experiment with all the modes untill you are happy with what suits you. ;)

4. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I tend to use Cinema mode as it tend to keep the proportions and there are no black bars on top and bottom

Wide makes everything look fat

Superlive seeems 2nd best

5. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    bob007,

Surely you must use cinema mode when watching non-anamorphic DVDs/broadcasts, the picture would be stretched horizontally otherwise.

Dan110,

Superlive is designed to preserve some sort of aspect ratio when watching 4:3 material on a widescreen TV, never use this to watch widescreen material.

Cinema is designed for watching non-anamorphic widescreen presentations (letterbox in a 4:3 window), if you use this setting with anamorphic DVDs/broadcasts you will be stretching the image vertically.
    Check the aspect ratio on the back of the DVD case. eg. If it states the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 and you have black borders top and bottom (in wide mode), the DVD is non-anamorphic and you should use Cinema mode, if it's full screen (in wide mode) then you are watching an anamorphic presentation (leave it in wide mode).

The size of the borders will vary according to what aspect ratio is used; 2.35:1 will display thicker borders than 1.85:1, even with a widescreen TV you will still have borders top and bottom in this aspect ratio, you will eventually recognize each one and determine whether it is anamorphic/non-anamorphic and change to the correct picture mode.

Wide should be used for anamorphic DVDs/broadcasts, using this mode for non-anamorphic material will stretch the image horizontally. This option achieves the best quality picture when used with anamorphic material.

If you take a look at this thread, the R2 pictures represent an anamorphic 1.85:1 picture and the R1 a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic, you can see that the R1 needs stretching vertically to fill the screen. I know that it states this isn't the case, but you get the idea.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=50534

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I do, but I took the question that Dan110 was wanting to know what mode members had there TV set for watching 4x3 broadcasts.

7. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bibooo,

Just to clarify then, normal widescreen DVDs should be watched in cinema mode. Anamorphic widescreen dvds should be watched in wide mode?

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Surely you only use Cinema mode for non-anamorphic letterbox material and not 4:3 as well :eek:

But not if it's anamorphic like DVD/16:9 broadcasts

[/B][/QUOTE]

It's last, and you never need to use it.

The only modes you'll ever need to use are...

Wide, 4:3 and Cinema.

The others are just gimmicky and serve no real purpose.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes

Non Anamorphic Widescreen should be watched in Cinema Mode.

Anamorphic Widescreen should be watched in Wide Mode.

How you watch 4x3 broadcasts are down to personal preference. If you watch a lot of 4x3 broadcasts you will have black/grey bars down the side, could be a risk of screenburn. IMO Super live does a reasonable job of stretching 4x3 image and suits me for the amount I watch in this mode. :)

10. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said I hate black bars

so I watch 4:3 material on cinema mode

for anamorphic widescreen dvds, I let the auto format work

or if its is non anamorphic/ 2.35 :1 I use cinema mode again

Just to have a full screen and keep proportions as normal as possible

I dont mind loosing the top part of 4:3 material (logos most of the time)

Some time I even zoom 2.35 : 1 material so that it fills the whole screen

Just a matter of preference

11. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    rmsdev,

I would suggest if you can't stand black bars, use Superlive to watch 4:3 instead of Cinema mode, the image will not appear as stretched.

I have a friend who uses Cinema mode to watch 2.35:1 anamorphic material, just so he doesn't have any black bars. I have tried to convince him that he is distorting the image, but he is new to the widescreen format and doesn't see why he should have any black bars with a widescreen TV.
    I think you are doing the same, I would say it's not down to personal preference, but how you achieve the correct aspect ratio as the director intended.

I'm sure other members do the same, IMO they are not using their televisions to achieve the best possible picture quality and preserve aspect ratio :mad:

Maybe I'm just too anally retentive ;)

12. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes

maybe I am like your friend....

OK I have switched to WIDE now
    ...Is this how I should watch analogue 4:3 material

hate black bars hate black bars hate balck bars...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    got to say that superlive on the toshibas is one of the best compromises for viewing 4:3 from any tv manufacturer, far better than smart from sony and as i have just found out, much better than anything panasonic has to offer.

but when watching an anamorphic dvd you really should only have it in wide mode !!!!

i don't even notice black bars at the top and bottom of the screen but on the left and right it drives me mad. why ?? I don't know.

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Why not just watch 4:3 material in er..4:3 mode?

Forget about the black bars and just concentrate on the image content and the story that is being told.

Think of your WS TV as a MUCH more versatile TV than a standard 4:3 TV that can cope MUCH better with ALL aspect ratios.
    A 'cinema screen' if you like.

Films are made in several different ARs (literally 100s) so why try and change them into something they are not.

I have DVDS in....
    4:3, 16:9, 1.66:1, 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 2.40:1, 2.70:1

Regardless, I get to see the full undistorted picture, just like I do when I see a film at the cinema.

Ever been to one of the older cinemas when the curtains used to be adjusted depending on the width of the screen?
    If so, did you hate the extra 'blackness' down the sides on smaller screen sizes?

Trying to 'lose' the black borders is just kidology. You are not missing anything and removing them does nothing whatsoever in enhancing the image. Quite the opposite in fact.

15. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because 4x3 is crap! You watch widescreen then switch it to 4x3, makes you go crosseyed, :eek: It's a dreadful format. Watch it in super live/panaramic, short and dumpy has gone, todays modes you can't tell the difference. 4x3 your out of 'ere. :)

16. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Just what is so 'crap' about 4:3?

The format that has been used by TV for the past 50 years or so.
    Why is it so dreadful?

Everyone on this forum has grown up watching 4:3 TV and only people who were born in the last three years (i.e grown up with 16:9) have a right to say it's 'crap'.

So blowing up a 4:3 image, losing top and bottom screen image and deterioting the resolution is better :confused:

You certainly CAN tell the difference'?

17. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your second statement has answered your first. It's old hat.
    4x3 gives you square eyes, widescreen doesn't.
    Everyone hear who has watched 4x3 between 3yrs - 50yrs has a right to say it's crap compared to widescreen.
    On the sets these days they do a good job of blowing up a 4x3 image (wish they would), you don't tend to loose any of the top and bottom of the images with the modes specifically used for this function, resolution may deterioate on analogue broadcasts but with digital you CAN'T tell.

I say to you as you have said to another member but the complete opposite, switch to super live/panaramic, forget 4x3 and and just concentrate on the image content and the story that is being told.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    hold on, I think that this all comes down to the make of tv you have.

Philips and toshiba do a good job of blowing up a 4:3 image to fill the screen, but sony and panasonic really havent got it right at all, and the smart/just mode on their sets really does distort the image and i for one would not use these modes, where as on a tosh or philips i think it is fine.

it would be interesting to see what make of tv people have and whether they would use the mode we are talking about.

I'll go first

philips - yes :)

19. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Did you think it was 'crap' before WS TVs were invented?

It's fine to say it's crap now looking back.

It still has it's place.

You DO lose some image (where could it go to?) and it DOES deteriote when using the ZOOM/CINEMA mode.

I think you may be using some sort of 'smart mode' where you only lose a small part of the image and it is strectched from the sides rather than the centre of the image.
    Anyway, this method is just as bad as the zoom mode as it distorts the picture.

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I agree, in an ideal world all broadcasts would be in hi-def 16:9 and we wouldnt need to worry about it.

but it isn't an ideal world and we have to accept a compromise either black borders or a slight distortion in the image, as long as i have a set that doesn't distort the image so that i notice i will stick with that mode. if i change to say a sony then i will live with the black bars.