1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh Strata PAL Prog upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nickb23, Feb 15, 2003.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    After reading this months What HiFi, with its article on PAL Progressive Scan, I read that many NTSC Progressive DVD players could be easily upgraded to accept PAL Prog aswell. For instance the Harmon Kardon DVD reviewed is just a software update through a cd patch (also makes it region free).

Now If it is this easy to upgrade DVD players, can it be possible to upgrade TV's? Is it Software or Hardware?

I know i read on the forum that someone had contacted Toshiba, and that they said they would not do it, but i think that they have sold the TV's with a little white lie - not mentioning that the progressive scan it accepts is only NTSC (have written a nasty letter to them about this)

Ta

Nick B

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can't update most NTSC progressive TVs for PAL Progressive playback. The only way to attain Pal progressive through a television that only supports NTSC progressive is to buy a DVD player that supports PAL progressive by converting the PAL signal to NTSC then de-interlacing it.