1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh speaker output

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Peter Shilton, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what power speakers can be driven by the Toshiba 42WH18P rear projection TV?

The “sound output (at 10%) distortion” stated in the user guide is main 14w +14W, centre 20w surround 10w + 10w.

The surround speakers that come with it state 15w on the back.

I have connected my old Technics speakers which are 80w and they sound OK, but stores say “the TV wont be able to drive them”. I cant use them long term as they are not aesthetically pleasing to the female half!

What does this mean? I am reluctant to buy an amp as the TV has DD 5.1 already, plus the wife is not too keen on extra “clutter”!

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I had a tv with dolby digital built in. Liked the idea of no extra clutter. Like you, found the supplied speakers were sh*te and bought better ones. Ended up with Mission M7ds, which were fantastic - should be, they were £140.

In the end though, I knew I was kidding myself thinking I had good sound from the tv. Yes, it was better than anything I had heard before, especially tv's with only ProLogic built in.

The truth is you can't beat seperates - simple as that. I hated the idea of having to have extra boxes in the lounge, but deep down I knew it was the way to go. I now have a seperate receiver driving 5 satelite speakers, plus a seperate active sub.

The difference in sound quality was astonishing.

My receiver is placed where you'd normaly have your vcr, underneath the tv. I have Tivo instead of vcr, two of them. No room in the lounge, so I installed them in the loft. Pic + sound are via 2x RGB scart cables to lounge tv and RF to all the other sets in the house.

Of course many people wouldn't go to all that trouble. I'm simply pointing out that the improvement in sound quality was so great, it justified me going to those lengths to have a seperate sound system and a neat lounge.

In answer to your original question about driving the speakers; almost any small speaker would be ok, inc your Technics. The only concern would be the impedance.

Most surround sets are designed to drive 4 ohm speakers. Most hifi speakers will be 8 ohm. Check your tv manual or the rear of the set to find out.

3. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no mention of the impedance either in the manual or on the back of the TV. the only "clue" is the supplied surround sound speakers are * ohm. Presumably this is good news. Why does everyone then tell me my TV won't drive the speakers?