1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh service Menus to reduce vertical distortion?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Nezza42, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Nezza42

Nezza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm a newbie here & though I've searched the forums for this answer, I appologies if I'm covering old ground but......

I have a Tosh 28Z07B that I've had two engineers out to look at the distortion I'm getting from any source I play. The distortion is primarily the bending of vertical lines on high contrast areas of the image (not just curving at the edge but all across the upper half of the screen - they veer one way then back again). I also get alot of curving down the edges in 4:3 when there are banners, etc (though I've seen this on many other sets & can live with it). I also get a faint green line down the left edge only on 4:3.

I now realise that this vertical distortion is quite common place (silly me - I there was me thinking that an FST would be better than a curved screen 0 serves me right for beliving advertising!!)

I have access to the service menu, but would like to know if fiddling is likely to do any good (I've noted ALL the default settings so can go back to standard if I screw it up) and if so, what parameters are most likely to help.

Thanks in advance

Nezza

2. PaulE

PaulE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same problem with my 28Z07B. Mine has actually been back to Peterborough Video Services and had "the main board replaced" apparently - although it made little difference to the problem. They said they couldn't replicate the fault! As the problem seems to depend on the contrast of the vertical lines being displayed (i.e. window frames and lamp posts are much worse than say details on a door) I wonder if the service menu settings will be able to sort this out or whether the problem is more down to something more basic like voltage regulation in the set.... anyone got any ideas?

3. Nezza42

Nezza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul, annoying isn't it!

I've adjusted several of the parameters in the service menu & this has helped the problem. There is always going to be a compromise, but the easiest aid is to reduce the contrast level!

This is the method for accessing the menu:

Switch on the tv, press mute once on the remote, then press and hold the mute button, keep the button pressed, open the right hand flap on the tv's fascia and press the menu button (should be the furthermost left button next to -vol button).

An S should appear on the screen, let go of the mute button and press the menu button on the set, a table will appear on the left upper part of the screen with a load of numbers and letters - don't panic!

Use the prog up/down key either on the set or the remote to cycle through the different adjustment paramaters, and use the volume up/down on the set or remote to adjust the values in each paramater.

You can't completely knacker the tv, but you may mess the screen up even more if your not careful - so make a note of all the setting before you start!!!

It may be useful to get a THX Optimizer pattern up on screen (Star Wars Phantom Menace & Terminator 2 DVD's have it).

Have a fiddle & see how you get on - I could always email you the settings I've used - but they may/may not be the same for your set.

Good luck m8

Nezza

4. PaulE

PaulE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nezza,

I'm trying to learn to live with it and not be so sensitive.....do other makes of TV have similar problems in this price bracket, I wonder, or is this peculiar to this model?

Anyway, do you know which parameters made a difference on your set? Any details would be welcome.

Also, once you've adjusted parameters how do you exit the service menu?

Cheers, Paul

5. Nezza42

Nezza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, I can't remember exactly how I came out of the service menu now, but I think when the set is turned off then back on again it re-starts out of the menu.

I spent bloody ages wandering around the local Comet & Curry's - fending of salesmen - studying the pictures of about a dozen sets (sad I know - but all in the name of science :eek: )
    All the flat 16:9 screen TV's exhibited it to some degree, even a Philips costing over £1K (though not as much as the Tosh). the only TV's noticably better for a similar price (actualy around £100 more) were the Sonys.
    I also looked at a £300 28" widescreen Bush (not flatscreen) & that was fine!

So it seams that though the Tosh appears to be affected a little more than some, it isn't alone and it is only a problem with flat screen TV's :mad:

That said, the picture on the Tosh looked otherwise as good if not better than all the others at the same price point, and was in a different league to the Bush.

If you give me your EMail, I'll send you a sketch of the settings I changed and to what, with a rough pictorial of what they do. It's not very good, but it was only originaly intended as a memory jogger for my own use!

Cheers

Nezza