Tosh SD900e 7 Progressive Scan

Matt F

Established Member
Reaction score
With the imminent launch of a new 36" CRT Toshiba (36ZD26P) that offers progressive scan - http://www.hed.co.uk/ienav3/showproduct.asp?CAT=50&PID=3220 , it's very tempting to get an SD900e to go with it from leconcepts.

Now, Leconcepts say their multi-region SD900e outputs progressive scan on both NTSC and PAL DVDs and they mention "3:2 Pulldown" - can anyone tell me what this means?

Presumably, if I connect the SD900e to the 36ZD26P using the component video leads and then all DVDs will be replayed in progressive scan?

Finally, a quick question on CD playback - I've heard that the Arcam DV88 has the edge on the SD900e for CD playback but, presumably, if I use the DACs in my TAG AV32R for CD playback then it's just going to come down to the quality of the transports and the difference should be negligible?

Thanks for your help.

Matt.

Hi Matt

The SD900 downconverts PAL to NTSC for Prgressive output, its not true PAL Progressive. Cracking player, bought one myself a few weeks ago.

For info about prgressive scan, 3:2 Pulldown etc have a look here

www.progressivescan.co.uk

As you´ve said the cd playback differences (if any!) will be down to the transport if you´re using the TAG´s dacs.

Not sure about the Toshiba TV as to whether it can accept a Progressive scan signal or if it has its own de-interlacer onboard and does it that way. You´d need to find out from Toshiba.

cheers

Just been reading a thread in the TV forum about the Toshiba and it would seem to be able to pick up an external Progressive Scan signal (NTSC) and would also appear to have an internal de-interlacer for PAL sources.

Looks good.:)

Originally posted by Jase
Just been reading a thread in the TV forum about the Toshiba and it would seem to be able to pick up an external Progressive Scan signal (NTSC) and would also appear to have an internal de-interlacer for PAL sources.

Looks good.:)

So, if it's got an internal de-interlacer does that mean it can create a progressive scan picture from a normal (non progressive scan) component out equipped DVD player?

And, if you were using such a DVD player and playing a Region 1 (NTSC) DVD then would the TV be able to use it's de-interlacer to create a progressive scan picture on that or would you have to have a progressive scan DVD player to do this?

Matt.

Originally posted by Matt F

So, if it's got an internal de-interlacer does that mean it can create a progressive scan picture from a normal (non progressive scan) component out equipped DVD player?

And, if you were using such a DVD player and playing a Region 1 (NTSC) DVD then would the TV be able to use it's de-interlacer to create a progressive scan picture on that or would you have to have a progressive scan DVD player to do this?

Matt.

From what I can gather, the TV can do both, it will either accept a Progressive scan signal, presumably NTSC only, from a Prog scan dvd player or, it will use its internal de-interlacer and go into Progressive Scan Mode for any other input source both NTSC & PAL.

Thats how I understand it, but might be worth getting Toshiba to confirm it though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom