Tosh SD9000 not playing DVD's anymore

aspick

Established Member
Reaction score
My Tosh SD9000E just wont play DVD's anymore. There was no warning. All I get now is the 'loading' message on the player (and screen) and nothing. I can hear strange (not normal sounding) noises coming from the player. What is stranger is that audio CD's work fine still.
I have tried a lens cleaner with no effect. My DVD's themselves are clean.

Any ideas what is happening?

Someone else in another forum mentioned it could be the laser? How do audio CD's still work (different laser?)

If (and this is only if at the moment) I need to get it repaired and the bill is quite high eg. over £100 I may just buy another player.
I have a Tosh TV with component inputs so I would hopefully be looking for a player which outputs component.
Would a Tosh 510 be as good sounding as the 9000 (given that its a few generations 'newer') ?
Would a Pioneer 545 sound good (I have heard good reviews of the audio CD capabilities of this player) ?

Andrew Pick

Sounds like its the laser. Most players now have dual lasers, one for cd and for one dvd, which will explain why cds work and dvds dont.

Youll need to get a demo of the other players you mention to see if theres a noticeable difference in sound quality.

The Toshiba 9000 was one of the best players around a while ago.

Only you can decide!!

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom