1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD520e w/component = no picture?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Willy, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I really hope someone could help me with this as I'm a bit stuck, but I'm a bit of a technical imbecile so it could be something simple!

OK, so I got my SD520e and have hooked it up to my Tosh Strata (32ZD26p) using this cable: http://www.grandata.co.uk/acatalog/Grandata__3_Phono_to_3_Phono_688.html. I know this cable is fine for component, since I use one to get progressive scan for my (US) Xbox & Gamecube.

When I hooked up the DVD player I can't get a picture (as in no picture at all). I have tried the player via scart and it works fine, and I have tried two different cables (although both the same make & model) and neither have worked.

So, I'm guessing it's one of 2 things:

1) Dodgy component outs on the DVD.
    2) For some reason the dvd player isn't recognising this cable as component.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'd be very grateful if you could...Cheers.

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Willy,

I can't comment on the 520, i haven't got one but...

on my Sony 735, you have to go into the setup menu and turn on component, by default it's S-Video with no signal from the component sockets.

Also is there a switch on the back of the player to turn on progressive scan component??

Good luck with your new toy. I'm thinking of getting a 520 too.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    John's right - you have to go into the menu, and select 'video' as the output, otherwise it'll default to s-video IIRC.

BTW - on PAL DVDs do you have a very slight green tinge to the left of some images, and a purple one to the right?

I've had that on two 520s now, though it's far more noticable via my projector than it is on my 32"tv. You really ahve to look for it on the tv, so try using as much zoom as possible.

It's as if the green is slightly shifted to the left, leaving the red and blue where they are, hence the green and purple tinges.

NTSC is perfect though.

I just need to know if it's there on all 520s, or I've been unlucky...

Cheers.

Other than that, the picture I get from the 520 on my HT1000 and 7ft wide screen is the best I've seen from a mid range player so far (including Philips 963sa), and Richer Sounds are now selling them for £170 multi-region if you take Aprils What Hi Fi magazine in with you.

Got to be the best player for the money at that price. :D

Gary.

4. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the help guys. I will try to follow your advice in the morning - far too drunk right now I'm afraid, so would probably do it wrong anyway!

I really hope you're right. Thanks again, will report back tomorrow.

Gary - I'll get back to you on the green/purple issues. BTW, I got it for £179mr inc delivery from www.dvdplayers.co.uk. I have April What Hifi but must have missed the £170 offer. Actually, after reading What Hifi I nearly went for the Harman Kardon, but in the end the price of the Tosh was too tempting. Sorry, I'm rambling (!). Cheers to you both, I'm off to bed!

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep that sorted it - thanks to both of you.

Gary - I tried the player with both PAL & NTSC disks and I didn't see any of the issues you mentioned. I used the zoom function to zoom right in and couldn't see anything wrong.

Cheers.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Cheers Willy,

Either they gave me back the same faulty player, or I've had two with the same fault.

Unlucky must be my middle name..

Gary.

7. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the end I ordered a Harmon Kardon DVD25.

If the Tosh 520 did PAL PS then i'd have gone for it but it doesn't.