1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD510E RCE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by (GTV)Chris, Apr 30, 2002.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone experienced problems with RCE R1 disks with this machine?
    Price is now £259 and I want it to go with my new Pan ptae100.
    Bloke in the shop tried to sell me a Pioneer for a grand and said that the Tosh had RCE probs?
    As far as I'm aware it plays all disks. But need to be sure.

Cheers

Chris:p

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Babylon 5 plays on mine, and Charlies Angels plays on Chic's.
    I believe they are both RCE, but they were purchased from here and the receipt stated it was rce compatible.

3. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Where did you see it for £259?

(silver hopefully)

Cheers

Berth;)

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.webelectricals.co.uk are doing it for £259 silver or black, multi region. Quite amazing considering this is a brand new product with a suggested retail of £400.

I can only imagine this is part of some strategy to get more DVD-A players out there quickly to try and bear SACD.

Anyway, I have the 510 and have had no problems whatsoever with RCE discs. My Toshiba 210 does need a workaround to play them, although it's simple enough it's still annoying, but the 510 doesn't.

I did read somehwere that the new Tosh range, 510, 220 etc. have been changed by Tosh to make disabling RCE easier. Who knows, who cares... you're getting a player in the £500 to £600 league for £250 and change!

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    No problems on mine
    Plays all know RCE DVDs that I have thrown at it along with R2, R1, R4 and R3

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AHHHHHH! why are you people doing this to me! I was all set on getting the Pioneer 545 in three weeks time and now you lot hit me with the Tosh 510 for less. I thought me mind was made up. Your thoughts please.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure there's at least 5 or 6 people here that have bought them and I've seen nothing but praise for them.

My previous player was a Panasonic A360, which, although oldish now, was a 5* player in it's day and cost around £500. The 510 walks all over it in every way (apart from weighing a lot less and some minor build quality issues - all of which is irrelvant once it's put in your rack).

It's also a noticeable improvement of the Toshiba 210 I have, I did a proper A/B test and the 510 is much crisper with more depth. Sound is far better also.

I also like it's looks, especially the two tone silver panels on the front.

For the money you simply can't go wrong.

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think we are getting off track here,

The machine appears to be great VFM, but it's the quality of the multi-region hack is what we should be discussing.

Chris, the guy in the shop is/was correct, Tosh was originally a difficult machine to hack the RCE, hence initial 210 mods meant the workaround ju referred to.

although webelectrical is a very cheap price, they don't really sound like the bleeding edge in player hacks, do they? they'll be buying thier mod'd machines from a mod wholesaler like paul taylor or similar.

Juboy, you say webelectrical is a graet price, and you have no problems with your 510 - so, did you actually buy your machine from webelectricals? and which RCE DVDs have you used on it?

9. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems perverse to ask if a DVD-A machine can play MP3s but It's
    one of my requirements and the Tosh site doesn't say. Can anyone
    tell me whether the SD510E plays MP3s? If so my search for a
    Multiregion, RCE capable mid price player may be at an end!

Thanks

Ross

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with emails, it's easy to miss points raised in posts.

Apparently the RCE issue that WAS present on older Tosh players is not (or much less) and issue with the new product range.

All I can say is that, personally, I bought my machine from LE Concepts on a price match at £299. The mod works superbly, no RCE problems, all region auto-switching.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to ring LE Concepts (they will price match Web Electricals) and then get the best of both worlds... a great machine, perfect mod for £259.

Apologies if previous posts were unclear.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it does play MP3s.

Although as with all CD and DVD players, there might be the odd conflicts with certain recordings onto disc of MP3s.

12. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't worry, we're a forgiving bunch round here, we appreciate your contributions, keep them coming .;)

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will definitely try harder in future.

14. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 510 on order from WebElectricals @ £259 (they were supposed to be in last Wednesday but on Monday they said this Wednesday - no call yet!). I emailed them and ElectroCentre (someone who ordered their 220 from WebElectricals said their box stated ElectroCentre so these must be the ones who do the mod) to ask about its capabilities because I was concerned with the RCE issue (even though I know little about this multi-region stuff!).

Response from ElectroCentre: "multi region, rce compatible (auto)."

Response from WebElectricals: "Our multi-region upgrades are performed by our own team." ???? "They are able to play RCe discs, but they are not macrovision disabled"

Sounds promising if slightly confusing!

PS: The black 510s are currently out of stock - bot sure about the silver version!

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good thing about Net co's price matching is that, effectively, they all will sell a product at the lowest price of their peers.

Hence you should be able to get a Toshiba 510 from most Net co's for £259 and ensure the mod is the one you want.

Macrovision isn't too much of an issue unless you enjoy VCR copying R2 discs. The 510 only has one SCART so no loopthrough anyway and unless you have a multi-format VCR you can't (watchably) playback copied R1 videos regardless of Macrovision being disabled initally.

16. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mention the mod doesn't disable macrovision.
    I want to use one with an old CRT project will that cause a problem?

Dan

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really not too sure if the LE Concepts mod disables Macrovision or not, haven't had the need to test it. Probably just easiest to phone them and ask. I think most mods do now include 'VCR Mode' aka Macrovision disabled.

18. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Leo Concepts really price match webeletricals. Don't they normally have a disclaimer about the other party must have it in stock. etc.

Dan

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They price matched my 510.

As long as they still make a buck or two I doubt they care. It's likely you'll buy from them again in future so makes sense for them.

I doubt they'll actually ring WE to check stocks. Even if they did, they know you'd just wait 3 or 4 days til WE get some more and then ask them to price match.

It has to be worth asking. At the worst you'll get it for £299.

20. tomg

tomg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a 510 for use with projector also so its important to get one with a mod that can disable macrovision. Its 319 ex vat on techtronics.com. They go on about how their mods are the best but are they really? is it worth the extra money? They only price match for a totally equivalent mod but its often hard to tell who has done the mod from the specifications on other retailers sites. Any opinions on who does the best mods? i have no idea about this stuff.
    Is there a link for LE concepts, my google search turned up nothing

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.leconcepts.com

Simplest way to clarify this is to phone them. I must admit, insisting that the mod must also be identical also is a cheeky way of avoiding price matching :rolleyes:

22. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has thrown yet another variable into the 'which DVD player to buy equation'. How can you judge who performs the best mods?

Ross

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although people like Techtronics claim otherwise, other than well known problems (like PREVIOUS Tosh RCE mods) I doubt there's too much between the bigger company's mods.

I had a Techtronic Mods in my Panny A360 and Tosh 210... they worked fine.

I have an LE Concepts Mod in my Tosh 510, it works fine.

Unless a Mod clearly can't do what you'd expect/like it to then I don't really think you'd notice much difference. It's certainly not worth paying £319+VAT for the Techtronics Modded 510 if you can get LE Concepts to knock one out to you for £259 or even £299.

LE Concepts also did me Next Day Delivery in the price, Techronics don't.

24. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leo Concepts don't have a macro vision fix. I just phoned them.
    Webelectircals still don't have any in stock.

Dan

25. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy a second hand Sony DVP-S735D but at this price the Toshiba looks like it must be worthy of my money. How do these two compare, I guess a new player with a warranty is prefrable to a used machine.

26. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest advantage in buying a brand new product is that you know you're getting the latest processing available in the home.

I guess you could say 'He would say that' but this is from the Zoran press release regarding the Toshiba 5700 (basically the US version of the 510) winning Time Magazine's Invention of the Year 2001 award:

"Zoran's Vaddis V processor offers Toshiba DVD player listeners a wider frequency response, a vastly improved dynamic range, and the more natural sound experience of DVD-Audio. In addition, the progressive scan and video enhancement filtering capability of the Vaddis V provides sharper images, optimizing the consumer's total home theater experience," said Michael L. Wood, Vice President and General Manager, Home Entertainment Division at Zoran.

The warranty may be worth having but remember that a multi-region machine will only have the warranty from the company you buy it from/who did the mod. Toshiba won't have anything to do with it once chipped.

27. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of an online review of the Toshiba?

28. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've been considering one of these players for a while, put a post up to see if anyone had experience of them, but no response...

Does anyone know of a mod/hack to get progesssive component vid from R2 discs? You can do it with the Denon 2800, obviously this is not supported by R2 discs technically, any thoughts?

30. John Sparks

John Sparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , i'm considering this machine as my next player as it has prog out NTSC and also works 110v-230v . i think this is the player for me to take to the USA . I need though a version with macro pff as i will need to output my region2 pal discs and send the signal into a video convertor to turn it into NTSC. i have about 20 region 2 and 20 region 1 and as i'll be in USA i won't need to buy to many uk discs .except for UK comedy shows and the odd other .Can anyone recomend a dealer who will do Multi region , RCE and macro off . I've seen Techtronics but there price is to much . There price match is also a joke because unless the mod is the same they won't do any matching , so of course there could not be any price\ mmatching at all . If the Tosh is not really available without macro other than from T/T is ther any other machines worth a look upto £400 -£450 , seen the Pioneer 737 but it's physically to big . That said i would poss push the boat out to a 747 multi with macro ff ?

Any help would be great , cheers . john.