Tosh SD510 at Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pathfinder, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this player any good?

I would like a replacement DVD player for my ageing Samsung 709 and it must have component video outputs (to go with my receiver and TV).

I'm leaning towards a Tosh player and would be happy with an SD210E but the price of £299 at Richer's for the SD510 or £349 for multi region seems fairly tempting. The model doesn't have the E suffix at Richer's so I assume its a grey import but is this a problem?

According to What HiFi it's "not the 1st choice for music lovers" which for a DVD Audio machine seems a bit daft.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Pathfinder

2. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi matey

I´ve had the 510 for about 3 weeks now and am thrilled with it and as for not sounding musical I think they must have got a dud at what hi fi!
    Only strange thing is that in all the bumf written about the player here in Germany (online and brochure) it says it has a built in DTS decoder and it aint.
    I don´t know about back home in the UK but this player is almost impossible to get here and actually I wouldn´t mind betting that Richer Sounds are selling grey imports.
    But get it anyway you won´t be dissapointed

PS the prog scan picture is to die for!!

3. conorahern

conorahern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a DIY multiregional kit for an SD510, I also received mine about 3 week ago and I am very happy with it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks .....

4. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As far as I know no Tosh players have multiregion kits available.
    Your best bet is to give it to techtronics www.techtronics.com
    they have a very good track record with upgrading players.
    Or if you are lucky and you know someone at Toshiba they can make it multiregion by updating the flash rom in the player using a cd rom,that´s what I did!;)

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Techtronics - Good Track Record?

I think not!

6. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have had one of these on order from QED for 3 weeks and they are currently predicting a late January delivery.

Which issue of What Hi Fi is it reviewed in? I must have missed it...

Another spec query is that the UK Tosh website doesn't mention MP3 playback but the German and Swiss sites do say that it supports this.

Has anyone tried SVCD's yet?

Can't wait for mine, but there doesn't seem to be a better option available with DVD-A and component inout in that price region.

Cheers, Peter

7. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can confirm the German player does play back mp3 files.
    As for SVCD can´t help you there but I would prsume it does seeing as SVCD is basically MPEG 2 but stored on a CD instead of a DVD,someone correct me if I´m wrong

8. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anybody know what mpeg decoding chip & deinterlacing chip it uses? I'm wondering if it has the Chroma upsampling bug in the mpeg decoding and how good the de-interlacing is.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sick Note,

I'm hearing more and more about updating the Toshiba firmware using a cd to flash the rom but no one can provide the software and I can't find anything on the net. Please enlighten us as I'm sure there are stacks of SD900E owners just dying for PAL progressive.

10. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    All I can tell you is that a very good friend of mine works at Toshiba over here in Germany and they definately have the software.
    The biggest AV mag here tested the 900 and confirmed that Toshiba had made it output pal progressive.
    As for getting hold of the software,my pal tells one guy already got fired for attempting to liberate a copy.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you manage to get your machine updated? This is dynamite, if this is the real deal then it can only be a matter of time before it filters through to street level. Any comments on PAL Prog performance?

12. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Directly off my pal at Toshiba it came already upgraded(flashed)
    as for pal prog performance I haven´t really had time to do a proper test yet as I only own one region 2 disc(walking with dinosaurs) but I will keep you posted;)