1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD340E / Samsung HD745

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Halo, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Tosh 340E for a month now and thought everything was fine with widescreen films (black bars top & bottom) until I played a full screen film. There are these 2 or 3 strange horizontal bands running across the screen. Its drove me mad so now im getting rid of it as it maybe incompatability problems!!! My question is, I want to get the Samsung 745 now as my LCD is a 32" Samsung and want to know if the PQ of the 745 is as good as the Tosh as apart from the poxy horizontal bands the Tosh has excellent PQ. My LCD has DVI-I so that should also work directly with the 745. If the 745 is worth exchanging the Tosh for who would be a good supplier of the player? Please help as I feel i've wasted my money on the Tosh.

2. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pleased with HD745, certainly PQ is comparable to other DVI players £200 and below. Plus you can upscale in both component and DVI for a slightly sharper image. And its MR with a remote hack !

Digiuk have them in stock £110 delivered inc vat.

Guess it should have the edge on Pio 575 and Tosh 340.

Go for it ! :smashin:

3. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. One point that no-one seems to have raised with the 745 is the PQ via Component cables???

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PQ on component is very slightly less sharp than on DVI, but the blacks are better. No jaggies on PAL like the pioneer 575 (lots of threads on this probem), Tosh 340 reliability and disc probs a plenty.

I tend to use component upscaled to 720p or 1080i on older poorer quality DVD's as the slightly softer image masks the deficiencies in the transfer. On modern DVD's like LOTR trilogy DVI is a must. Looks great on 768p native on the Sharp in PC Mode.

Can't compare component against your Tosh as my last DVD was RGB (SD100E Toshiba). Have compared DVI PQ against a CA DVD 79 and a Denon 1910, and its in the same ball park, though detail is not quite as good (though £90 cheaper).

The machine is a great stop gap until the HD technology matures, and it plays virtually anything you stick in it.

5. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MickyGee, Ive made my mind up to get one now. One question, where did you get your 745 from and is it british standard as I have heard on this forum that some of pixmania's stuff has foreign plugs on it!!! Just repeating what I read...

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DIGI UK - UK spec with 3 pin plug !

7. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks...

8. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just had a quick and important thought. Will the Samsung 745 connect to my LCD via DVI as my tv is DVI-I!!! What type of DVI connecter is the 745 or does it not matter?

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The one supplied will work fine. You can upgrade later for a marginal improvement.