Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tosh SD330 As Replacement DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by digitaldave, Jun 12, 2003.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, first the problem:

I have a Richer Sounds amp that has one optical and two coax digital inputs, a PS2 with optical digital output, and an ageing Panasonic A150 DVD player with optical digital output. So that's two optical outputs in to one input - that won't work :(. I want to have both the DVD and the PS2 using digital outputs to the amp, as the amp doesn't give the PS2 surround sound unless it's using one of the video inputs, and they're all taken :(.

Now, the possible solutions:

1) Get an optical to digital converter, an optical lead and a coax lead to connect it all up to the PS2 - total cost around £50

2) Get an optical switch (I've seen one at Lektropacks), and two optical cables - total cost around £70

3) Get a new Toshiba SD330 DVD player and a coax lead - total cost around £120

I'm tempted to go with option 3, even though it's the most expensive. First, it's a simple solution. Second, it will give me RGB output on the DVD, something I don't currently have (the best I can manage is s-video). Third, as the DVD is old, it sometimes skips a whole chapter just as it changes layers :(. Finally, the SD330 will give me the capability to use cd-r's, something my current player can't do.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on the problem, the the possible options to solve the problem, and the final proposed solution.

Cheers,

Dave.

2. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, I forgot to say that it will be used as a CD source as well, so if anyone has any feedback on sound quality of CD's, that would be great :).

Cheers,

Dave.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd buy the 330 ;) cdr alone has got to be worth the extra. Not to mention pq and sq.

4. Desperado

Desperado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i have to agree after i just got the Toshiba 330 today
    what a beauty very clear Picture and great sound this for only £97 i dont think u can go wrong mate!!