1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD220E Vs Limit 9900SE Dilema

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scottm, Apr 14, 2003.

1. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. I've been deilberating on my first DVD player and Richer
    Sounds have a couple of good ones around my price range at the mo' (up to 150 max). The choice is between the Tosh and the Limit.

The Limit has the dolby decoder built in and Progressive Scan, although my Sony 100Hz TV wont be able to take advantage of this prog scan anyway. I was also intending to buy a dedicated
    decoder at some point down the line as well, so I'm not *too* bothered about that the built in one.

Basically it's down to picture quality (without the prog.scan mind). RS reckon the Limit one is the best buy by far, however the Tosh has won quite a few awards in its time, and I've not seen much of the Limit.

I can get the Tosh for 100 (if you buy WhatHiFi) and the Limit is

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? I know Tosh have a good rep, but .... Or are there any other DVD players in this price band that beat them both??

Any help appreciated.

Cheers!

S.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I've had both the Tosh SD520E and Limit 9900SE, and used them on my NEC HT1000 projector and 7ft wide screen. The results may not be quite the same on a tv though.

The Tosh was better - a much sharper and smoother image. Not sure how the 220 will compare though, as it has a lesser DAC than the 520.

The Limit says it can resolve 450 lines of res, and the 520 can do 540. This seems to be the case too.

the 520 is only £170 now via What Hi Fi.

Gary.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Stick with Tosh, 220 / 330 / 520 all much better than RS 'Limit', usual RS practice not based on quality but just profit.

4. Doogy

Doogy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree.......stick with the Tosh........I've had one for 4 months now (multi region) and it has played every disk I threw at it without a glitch.It's also well built too and is excellent as an audio CD player.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    220E is in what hi-fi for £80 now, which makes it a steal.

However the styling on the 9900SE is far superior. I demoed (unintentionally - I was actually demoing some 77DS surrounds and they just happenned to be using the DVD player) the 9900SE at Richer Sounds in Sheffield but it was hooked up to a useless Samsung budget plasma.

The picture was truly awful, not sure which component's fault it was. However the sound was more than acceptable - even if the receiver in use was an STRDB780S (with GALE speakers - when will RS learn?).

But at £80 that 220E is probably imported from the continent so I'd advise you - strongly - to take out Supercare on whatever it is you buy.

N.B. RS also have the 520E for £150 now, and Hyperfi for £130.

6. olli

olli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS website still show £199.95 for 520e. Could you please provide link for hyperfi?

7. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is definitely the problem of that Samsung plasma. It is horrible, also it doesn't allow component progressive scan connections. Not that that was one of the requirements.

Although I really like my Limit, which has performed incredibly well over the last 4 months, I always say; if you don't need progressive scan, do not go for it there are cheaper solutions which you have already identified that would do.

Also, I am not terribly impressed with the buildin DAC for the sound. Which is not a problem for me as I use a digital connection to my amplifier and have a seperate CD player. However I couldn't comment on the sound quality of the Toshiba buildin decoders.

One feature I really like of the Limit is its capability to playback JPEG pictures. I just pop in my photo-cds and go through the album on my projector, really cool.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

9. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. I've decided to spend a bit extra and go for the
    Tosh sd520e MR from Richer Sounds for 170. Think my option
    to buy the SD220e has gone now anyway as RS don't have any
    left. From what I can gather from the list, there's a 330e on the
    way to replace it.

I had been looking also at the Philips DVD763SA and the Pioneer DV454 just before deciding, but think I've chosen the best one from what I've read here and elsewhere.

Unless I'm completely wrong here and someone lets me know, I should be the owner of a 520e v soon ... when RS get some of
    those back in stock as well. They're flying out the door by the sounds of it.

Cheers all !!

S.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The Tosh is the best player I've had so far - my last 'borrow' from Richer Sounds was the Cambridge Audio 57. Not as good as the 520, and both PAL and NTSC had issues with progressive, though in this case the PS output was a great deal sharper than the interlaced output.

RS haven't had any 520s for a while now, so it looks like I'm going to have to look elswhere. Maybe the HK DVD25...

Gary.

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't go for the HK25, it's a truly horrible piece of kit. Looks disgusting.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Dimmy,

what's the picture like from the HK25?

Does it still have the PAL shift issue with PS?

Gary.