1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD220e / SVCD playback probs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Deft, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Deft

Deft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as this is the staple diet budget end DVD player i picked one up last week (Richersounds, multi-region, v1.5 firmware).
    I checked on here a while ago to check VCD/SVCD compat. and there seemed to be no problems.
    However, SVCD playback on my model is fairly sketchy.
    The screen seems to have a very slight waver (you notice it on credits partic.).
    Also there have been various troubles with certain films stuttering, blocking etc.
    Now assume i am fairly confident with my cd-writer, speeds, media, software etc..........

Can some Tosh-220e owners confirm they have had absolutely rock solid SVCD playback with a variety of burning speeds, media, software etc.?
    Generally i burn my SVCD's slowly on good quality media and they play perfectly on my PC. I have also surface scanned / error checked the discs and they come up 100%.

So have you all been lying about SVCD playback or have i got a flakey machine?
    Any other tricks, experiences etc. in this area. Was pleased overall with the player (esp. DVD playback), but i would be a lot more pleased with solid SVCD playback so i can stop watching them on my PC!
    Cheers.

2. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem here mate. Most SVCD are ok but some are stuttering. Biggest problem is with VCD playback as it just goes into extreme lag.

I was going to try some different disks to see if this was the problem! Must admit to being a bit dissapointed as most people don't seem to have a problem

3. Deft

Deft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arrrgh seems mysteriously quiet.
    Stitch up!
    Time to get my 7m TV-OUT cable back out again i suppose.
    I've given my flaky discs to a friend to check them and see if they're the same on his Tosh. Some are better than others but no normal variables seem to come into play.
    Shame.

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. gordon mckenzie

gordon mckenzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only a couple of days ago i posted the same problem on another forum but there seems to be a problem with the site so i have been unable to check for replies. i think that there must be a problem with certain machines as mine also from RS freezes up when trying to play a vcd and my screensaver goes mosaic when i try to play a svcd. i am going to arrange a test at my local shop with one of there own vcd`s and if it doesn`t play get a swop to one that does. my firmware is also 1.5,
    Gordon

6. Deft

Deft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems my friend's identical player has the same problems. Bizarrely it seems the films generally get worse on the player the further through you get. The first 5 mins are fine then the stuttering gets worse. I honestly don't think it is a media, codec or burning issue.
    Annoying. Might have to switch the player to another brand.

7. Deft

Deft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little update for those interested.

All the discs i've used play absolutely fine on my friends Sanyo DVD player (not sure what model number).
    Strangely 1 disc plays absolutely fine, but the rest of the SVCD's generally start getting worse as you play them - also generally at the same time points.
    A VCD i tried wouldn't even start.
    Total mystery - can't figure it out. Am taking it back, probably for a Pioneer DV350.
    Both faulty players were multi-region (region 2 'upgraded' by Richersounds) apparentely from the continent as they had plug adapters on and a photocopied english manual.
    Bought from Richersounds in Guildford.
    To others with the same probs i'd say take 'em back.
    Cheers

8. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to puchase a Tosh SD220E from Richer sounds to play my VCD. Does everyone have this problem or is this something specific to the patch to Multi region which Richer sounds perform ?

Anrasp

9. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Went to buy a DVD player from Richer Sounds (Hull) two weeks ago, with firm intentions of walking out with £120 worth of region free Toshiba 220E. However, on talking to the salesmen, and discussing my actual needs rather than the specs of the player, he commented that the VCD playback on the Tosh was flaky. Can't remember if he mentioned SVCD.

As this (VCD use) had to be a given for my uses, I ended up getting the Limit 9900SE, which whilst more dosh at £200 has a significantly better spec list, and has so far played everything I've chucked at it. It also has Prog Scan so is future proofed as far as I can afford to.

OK, so the salesman got more money from the punter, but the more I hear about the Tosh, the better I feel!!

Hope this is of some help

Pat

10. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of forum searching and pinning my hopes to the Tosh SD220e ... I am seeing that quite a few ppl are having problems with this player. My budget is in the 120 -150 Stg region and I really need it to play VCD's. Any other suggestions on a definite buy :(

Anrasp