1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD220e Multi Region Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pjm6658, Jan 15, 2003.

1. pjm6658

pjm6658
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a Multiregion Tosh SD220e from Richersounds.
    When I got it about 2 months ago, it played my Region1 discs no problem.
    When I tried last night, it refused to play any, yet nothing has been touched. The only mods you can make are between PAL and Auto mode on the video menu. Mine is set to auto.

I was led to beleive by RSounds, that it was a chip change that made the Tosh Multi Region. I can't understand why it has stopped accepting R1 discs.

My old Scan SC2000 plays everything I throw at it.

Anyone else have problems like this....

yours in anticipation.....

PJ

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, what does the Tosh say when it doesn't accept a disk.

Presumably as it's only a couple of months old you can just ring the RS helpline, and then take it back as necessary?

3. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might be mis-remembering, but aren't there two sections that define the PAL/AUTO setting. The first being the picture menu, the second being the last tab, the initial settings menu. Might be worth checking this also to see if anything has been reset by say a power surge or something.

4. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had a similar problem twice in 3 months of ownership. It seems that a few machines have a tendency to lose the multi-region coding at seemingly random times

You’ve got 3 options.

1. Take it back. Richers will put CD in it with the software hack and, hey presto it works again. Problem is, it may fail again – as happened with me.
    2. Take it back and replace it. Though Richers may insist on 1 above.
    3. Download the software hack (do a search on this forum and you should find a thread on it), and use that to fix it whenever the problem arises – which I did second time around. You need a CD Writer to do this (to create the hack CD). Also, the instructions are fairly poor, so search this forum for clearer ones. Finally, if you use Nero to burn the CD, it needs to be a fairly recent version (early 5.5 versions don’t work). Took me about 5 tries to get it to work right.

The good news is it’s a great little DVD player and worth the effort IMHO.

Hope this helps.

5. pjm6658

pjm6658
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your suggestions.

The message sayse "Unauthorised disk, please consult user manual"

When I bought the machine, Richer Sounds told me it had a replacement chip. This is backed up by various DVD mags who state that Toshiba DVDs do not have a software multi region option but need a replacement rom.

I assume therefore that the software is third party which probably explains why it is so flaky, as I can't logically see why it should stop working.

Can anyone provide a link to a site where I can get the software update.

Are there different versions of software ? Which is the best ?

Thanks to all

PJ

6. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  7. pjm6658

pjm6658
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks...

Unfortunately at this time the link won't display in my browser, but I did some searches and have downloaded a file.

I have no instructions... I guess I put it on a cdr and stick it in the machine.
    Does the Tosh automatically detect the disk and flash itself, or do I have to hit a combination of buttons???

Thanks for your persistance

PJ

8. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Here is a brief summary of my experience:

1. Download the software – it comes with 3 files – a close-to-useless readme, a very important .cue file and the main .bin file.
    2. If you don’t have Winrar, find the site and download it. You need this as it was used to archive the software.
    3. Extract the 3 files to a temp folder.
    4. Fire up a late version of Nero. The early versions don’t accept the .cue file and so it won’t work.
    5. I am writing this in the office, so don’t have Nero with me, so can’t give you the blow by blow. Some people say that all you need to do is select the .cue file, and it will point to the .bin file. This didn’t work for me, so I just dragged those two files to the CDR directory. Suggest you read the thread, as you will get some good advice as so what options to choose, before you burn.
    6. When the disk is burned, select Auto on the DVD options, bung the disk in. The screen will get very fuzzy and you will be scared that you have done something bad. Then you will faintly see the word “Fin” – which I guess means end. When the screen goes dark. The job is done – you’re back to multi-region.

Hope this helps