1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh sd210e or Sony ns400 which best sound and picture?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tfraser, Jul 25, 2001.

1. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh sd210e or Sony ns400

is anyone else thinking about making the above choice, or can share audition experiences, particularly regarding sound and picture?

I can buy the tosh for £224 and the sony for £278

the sony has builtin dd decoder which I don't need as I will be purchasing an amp also. but if the sony gives better sound and picture it may be worth the extra.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I´ve got the Tosh 210. For the money its an excellent player, better than my Panasonic A360 (in its day highly regarded.

Picture quality is excellent as is cd playback etc etc.

Havent done a side by side with Sony though so cant comment on that.

cheers

3. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the Sony over the Toshiba. The Toshibas are known to be noisy in operation. The Sony is not the quietest, however it is well built and good in every other field plus no risk of RCE problem which the Tosh has.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 210. It's multi-region (bought from Electro Centre for £179 delivered) and has no problem playing RCE discs. You just have to put a non-RCE Region 1 disc in first.
    Given you were considering the Tosh at £220 then I'm sure £179 would swing it.
    Yes, it is slightly noisier than you would expect but unless you sit with it right next to you and only have the volume turned down (highly unlikely or desirable!) you will not hear it. Mine is on an open equipment rack across the room and the only time I can hear it is when the disc first loads up. I can't hear it at all during films. If you have it behind glass in a cabinet then this really isn't an issue.
    I don't know what tv you have but if you have one with component inputs then you should definitely get a DVD player with component outputs. Don't know what the Sony has got but the picture on my Tosh into a Tosh RPTV via component really is fantastic. If someone showed me the picture quality in my setup and said the DVD would cost £500 I would still have bought it.
    As I said I don't know about the Sony but the Tosh is well worth the money... and some!

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I agree with Smarty, I sold my SD200 to a friend, and got the 210 with the better RCE mod from Multiregion Magic. Mainly cos I got fed up with the silver colour of my SD200 and the SD210 was very well priced at £180 inc mod.

Out of the box, if felt like I had bought an empty cabinet, it is very light and does not inspire confidence in its abilities, and the drive is noisier than my previous Tosh, Pioneer 626 and my 1st player, a Panasonic 350.

However that all fades away into the distance when you start using it, sound quality is much improved over the previous budget Toshibas, especially CD audio. Menu system is also improved and has a lot of info available to the user for such a low cost player.

Using the component connection to my Toshiba 46" RPTV, reveals this player as quite simply stunning for the price, I first saw a Tosh RPTV with a Pioneer 737 hooked up to it, and this player matches it at a third of the price, I kid you not.

If build quality is a factor for you , get the Sony, the noisier drive of the Toshiba is easily attenuated by careful siting and placing on a good HiFi shelf if you have one at your disposal, I myself use a Mission Isoplat which has four large sorbothane feet, this "soaks up" a large amount of the small but unwanted noise generated by the DVD player drive mechanism.