1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD2109: Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dunky, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two and a half years of great service from this machine but I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm being left behind by advances in technology. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has upgraded from this machine. What did you buy next and how did it compare to your old Tosh?

I'm feeling the urge to upgrade but will I really see a sizable increase in quality if I were to spend say £300 on a new player?

Duncan

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Duncan

The 2109 is a great machine. Don't bother, really good with SVideo. Re sound / picture there is no need to upgrade. If you want DVD A / compnent outputs etc then maybe but the 2109 is a great performing machine. save your pennies.

3. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick. I must admit that I am still impressed by the quality of the visuals and sound on my trusty Tosh. Doesn't always stop the itch to upgrade from creeping up on you though!

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Dunky

Im a current owner of a 2109, and a Tosh 510e, I can say there is a improvement (pic and sound), but i would say this the 2109 is a classic and still blows away many current machines with its pic quality.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    On a more general point 1st / 2nd generation players that are still competitive today IMHO. My list is

Tosh 2109, 3109 and the great 9000
    Sony 7000, 7700 (lovely)

My are old panny 350 and pioneers (626 and 717) are simply outclassed nowdays. The lowly 2109 isn;t. Yes there are better players, 510, 900, 9000 but that was always going to be the case.

What else to people still rate?

My 9000 makeS a stunning picture. A bloke at work was selling a 2109 (chipped) with I think 8 discs for £110! Bargain time.

6. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I agree with Harj

I have a modded 2109 and have just bought a 510 (because it was a bargain, and it does rce seamlessly, and prog scan). The 510 really is a cracking machine but I have to tell you that the 2109 is very nearly as good. On RGB and S-Video picture performance it creams much newer and more expensive kit, and the digital bitstream drives my 5.1 system with plenty of clarity.

Keep it mate!!

dr_mabuse

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Nic, i too own a toshiba sd9000b connected via component to 36" toshiba tv. i have been tempted by a pioneer 747 - is this a worthwhile upgrade and wait another 6 months or so and get a better machine then? btw, is your 9000 rce compatible, apparently mine shouldn't be, but if i press the "T" button under the flap (ooh err!) it will play them fine!;)

8. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2109 and am still amazed at how good it looks.

I am in the same boat though as I was considering a Tosh-510. After reading this I think I'll wait a bit more and save up for a new TV instead.

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the 3109.
    I've just gone from a 28" w/s to a 42" plasma & am still pleased with the performance. (going through rgb scart-vga converter).

I would however be interested in demoing a player which outputs a progressive signal, just to see how much improvement there would be.

Has anyone experienced any lip-sync issues with 2/3109s? Apparently this was a weakness of these models. I never noticed through the TV, but have noticed a couple of instances of poor lip-sync since using a larger screen

10. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got over a hundred discs and haven't noticed any lip-sync errors. Only discs I've ever had any problems with have been rentals from Blockbusters.

11. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Dunky, the 510 has progessive scan,component video, dvd audio, an excellent menu system dvd audio, no layer change pauses, its probably a more 'future proof' choice if you are planning to use these features.

BTW I still cant bring myself to sell my 2109! My affection is strong for that player..

12. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iwas also thinking of upgrading my 2109 and was wondering whether it was still competitive - after reading the replies I shall hang onto it.

But I was interested in chipping it, does anyone know a cheap mod that will be reliable and cope with RCE, Techronics are charging about £80 and doesn't seem worth it to me as I won't be watching many region 1 disks.

13. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 3109 I got in Florida when it first came out. I've NEVER been able to get it made multi region, something to do with the firmware version (1.120) I'm led to believe.

I've tried everyone from Techronics (who wanted £110 just to look at the machine and couldn't guarantee an upgrade, plus I had to ship it there and back myself from NI - don't even get me started on that subject) to dvdchips (who don't even recognise the firmware revision).

I've since bought a Samsung 709 for R2 duties, but the differences in quality are startling. The 3109 beats any picture I've ever seen, hands down. It has only ever had problems with 1 disc (Disney's Dinosaur, which it won't even recognise) and is as good now as the day it was bought.

14. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

I got mine chipped from my local electronics dealer fro £45, my 2109 that is, not RCE though, no major loss though. Try your local dealers, mine sent it away for a few days to get done.

15. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I bought a DIY kit for about £30 for my 3109 (Can't remember supplier - sorry, will check when I get home)
    It was the same kit for a 2109.
    I got a mate who's an electronics engineer to fit it.
    I was planning on doing it myself as I have done a bit of soldering in the past. I had second thoughts after seeing the board though!
    In the end my mate took the board to work and did it under a magnifier - it looked well fiddly!
    The company I got the conversion from also supplied a handset hack to defeat RCE. I've never tried it as I've never bought an RCE disc & I don't think it's being used now anyway.

16. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds a bit more like it for price - be interested to know where the mpd comes from.

Is it true that RCE isn't used by DVD manufacturers anymore?

17. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'll dig out the paperwork when I get home - I kept it in case I ever needed the RCE hack.

I don't know for definite about RCE being abandoned, but since having my player modded (about a year ago now) I have mainly bought R1 & have never even seen the RCE warning screen.
    I have a mate with 'The Patriot' R1which I keep meaning to borrow, just to see if the supplied hack works!

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Stick with your 9000. Much better quality than the 747 but just doesn't do all the lovely 'extras'. My 9000 has played every disc I have thrown at it. RCE and all.

19. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, it's still very much alive and kicking. A quick glance here confirms it.

Sorry to disappoint you.

20. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Could a Tosh 510 owner please have a look at the back of the machine and tell me where it's manufactured? I've read that there were some quality-control problems with the Tosh 110 (which I think were manufactured in China).

21. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I was very happy when I read your comments regarding the unnoticeable layer change but someone said the following in another thread:

"what bugs me with the layer change is that my old chepo grundic player handled the layer change so well that i never noiced any layer change on any of my films, i upgraded to a tosh 510 which give a better picture and sound and is more reliable than the grundig pauses on every layer change for about a second which can be annoying so how can the chepo player mask the layer change but the mid range player cant."

I guess I'll have to demo the 510 myself to see if I notice it.

22. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Godfather, I have this problem ...:D

Definately NO layer change pause on the 510, if someone has, then i guess its a slighty faulty player.

23. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was in the same boat with my trusty old tosh 2109. I had already had it upgraded from techtronics so it was a tidy little mulirregion machine. The main reason why I upgraded was it didn't handle CDR or CDRW that well.
    I eventually settled on the arcam fmj27 (overkill I know)
    I have been putting the 2 machines very closely together outputting onto a panasonic 35 pf10, Picture wise the arcam output is a lot sharper and mpeg encoding on still frame shots is hardly noticable on the arcam. where as on the tosh this was clealr visable when you did still frame (obviously you hardly see this at all when you're running at 25 frames a second)
    The biggest difference I noticed was bunging the dvd players on a 42 plasma, then there was a noticable difference when you looked at arcam going through an RGB. This again was stepped up when you played reg 1 title through progressive scan.
    So summing up visually you'll only notice a slight difference (imho) on a CRT but major on a 42 or above
    Sound wise there were much more noticable difference the arcam bascally walked all over the toshiba but then again so it should. I bought the arcam for the sound quality which has so far out stripped everything I played it against. This was for cd's and film.
    BTW I also noticed a lip synch problem on my tosh but just thought it was the films and not the player, maybe I was wrong all this time.
    I certainly can't fault the tosh when I saw it against my friends machines and woudl consider buying from them again in the future

24. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    That's reassuring. :)

Do you mind checking where the machine was made? Japan or China? Some day, and that day may never come, I'll return the favour... :D

25. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,246
    Hi,

Just to add to the discussion. I too have been a proud owner of a 2109 and yes, it is excellent. I brought my sister a 220E (the remote is far better than the 2109 giant, as the forward keys were so cumbersome on the 2109) and connected it up to my 40" RP through components and found no difference what so ever. But then again, both players are in the same price range - entry-level players.

Just to ask tosh rp tv owners, is this the right settings, when connecting via components (i lost my tv manual), the picture shows up on EXT4 and change the AV menu setting for EXT4, the picture always remains. And on the Tosh 220 i set it to SVHS, and when choosing RGB it dissapers, right?.

I have been wanting to upgrade to a hi-end player for months now, something with a spec like the Pioneer 747, or the new tosh 950, though extremely expensive about 1700!, to really see the benefits, and then maybe in the futrure change my display to a higher spec.

rai

26. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    www.linkonline.co.uk

27. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also going through the same process of wondering whether or not to upgrade my 2108, which, as far as I know, is identical to a 2109 except mine's R3 (and modded). I'm considering a Techtronics (warily, I must add) Pioneer 545, mainly for the RCE bypass, and the ability to skip fbi warning and other enforced viewing. I cope with the remote RCE bypass but it's a nuisance and deprives me of other menu items. The 2108 would then go to a deserving home.

My Toshiba has component outputs (for my plasma screen). Does a scart rgb output (as on the Pioneer) compare favourably?