Tosh SD-520 Progressive question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jayb, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh SD-520 MR DVD player and a 32zd26p tv

when I bought the set up all my DVD's were R2 So progressive scan was not an issue. To check PS I borrowed TTT which was a NTSC copy (I dont buy or condone copies). when I played this the picture was spot on ,when I pressed the Progressive Toggle button on the remote it turned off the progressive mode and the picture was much poorer.

I have just bought my first R1 DVD from DVDsoon (Finding Nemo), when I play this the picture looks good but when I got up close I could see some Jaggies, I assumed that PS would eliminate this and maybe thought that it had not come on automatically so pressed the toggle button,which put up the little stop sign in the top right hand corner of the screen

So is the stop sign just telling me that I cannot watch this in progressive mode or is it telling me I cannot come out of progressive mode?

As I said the picture does look good and the jaggies are only noticable if I sit closer to the screen. Although now I know they are there I do notice them when the action hots up

As this is my first R1 I have nothing to compare it to

Any suggestions would be much appreciated....:smashin:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    It might want you to stop the movie first before allowing you to switch between Interlaced and Progressive Modes (my Tosh SD900 allows you to switch whilst the movie is playing). A couple of things to check. Have you got the switch on the back of the player set to Progressive? Make sure the player is set to AUTO so it selects between NTSC and PAL automatically.

Check the Progressive Scan Conversion is set to AUTO as well. Sometimes it's worth trying the different modes, FILM, VIDEO. FILM works best for most stuff or just leave it on AUTO.

3. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase

I have just gone through your check list and discovered the switch on the back was to blame, I must of changed over at some point after trying TTT.

I thought it looked good before but now....:eek: :eek: it looks amazing

Thanks again Jase and now I know why you all rave about progressive scan even if you only have a 32" it makes a big difference....:smashin:

Also big sigh of relief that I didn't waist £2000 on my set up...:D

4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    This is good news, Im looking to get an SD520 as soon as I get enough cash to partner with my 36ZD :D

5. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bash

If you are watching NTSC DVDs it is well worth buying the 520, I did a lot of research on the forums and although some people do prefer the more expensive progressive players, not many could fault the quality you get from the £200 multi regioned player

Probably even cheaper now....:D

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You can pick up the later SD530 for 200 quid now. Also has PAL Progressive if your TV supports it. :)

7. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    afraid NTSC only on my TV, the 520 should match it perfectly. It'll be finding one that'll be tricky!

8. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0