1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD-220 or Pion DV-350

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zog, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    looking to team one of these up with a 3802. Is there anything that I should be aware of ?

2. Hippy

Hippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware of pioneer compatibilty problems with panasonic tubes. Can effect RGB output between them, does happen, does seem to because of the manufacturers, but u could be left with apparently fine yet badly working goods. Only with panasonic tubes, and maybe just the DVD 444, but home test could be good, as they may not refund.:(

3. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Was very interested to see your question as I'm currently trying to decide on one of these myself. (Also to go with a 3802 - but not yet bought. By the way, are you happy with your 3802? I think I've managed to convince myself that it's worth the extra money over the 1802)

My initial thoughts were that I should be spending a bit more on a DVD higher up the range, but as I don't need progressive scan, DVD-Audio or SACD, I guess something like the 220 should be ok.

The latest issue of What HiFi (August 2002) has a DVD group test (£120 to £250) and the 220 comes out top, but they didn't include any Pioneer models. Also one dealer that I spoke to recommended the 220 over the 350 as the 350 is pioneers entry model. Mind you, the new Pioneer 454 is supposedly the same internally as the 350 but with an additional optical digital out.

I'm therefore leaning towards the 220 myself, but any comments from owners would be gratefully received.

4. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not bought the 3802 yet, but that decision has been taken.
    It looks like opinion suggests that the 220 would be the choice, but just wanted opinions as I was unable to find any reviews on the Pioneer.
    I am afer an "entry level" model as I do intend to upgrade to DVD-R once the whole format question has been sorted out and they then are priced realistically.