1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh SD-2109 - always "loading" but never playing, HELP!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LisaJoujou, Mar 11, 2005.

1. LisaJoujou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    A rental I picked up yesterday wouldn't play - the player kept saying "loading" and I could hear it working the disc, but it neither played nor gave me an error message. Cleaning the disc didn't help, either.

I removed the rental, put one of my discs in, and presto, it worked fine.

So I returned the non-playing rental and got a different copy of the same film (Hidalgo). Same deal, the player says "loading" and never plays the movie, only now NONE of my movies will play either. The machine just says "loading" and never plays or gives an error message.

I've had this machine 4 years I think, now, and seriously, I lOVE IT. My BF recently bought a JVC and its seems cheap and flimsy compared to my Tosh.

I'm hoping there's a fix to my problem, as I'd hate to buy a new player. =( I don't think I'd like another one as much.

I've seen posts here about cleaning the DVD player. How do I do that? Would it help?

How long do Tosh DVD players usually last? Maybe my expectations are unnaturally high. (I have 14-year old VCR that runs perfectly fine.)

Please, any advice you can provide a non-tech newbie would be so appreciated!

2. cartmin

Standard Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lisa ,

I have the same problem with my 2109 (also about 4 years old) . Plays new discs no problem but struggles with alot of rentals .....it seems to have become very picky about discs other than in perfect condition ( including some well played but cared for discs from my own collection / Independance Day for example ). :(
    I put it down to age and the 'error correction' starting to wander abit. It also struggles to read a dvd after playing a cd....seems it get confused ! I have noticed that mechanism on the newer Tosh players tend to get abit of a 'dishing' here on the forum but the older ones were fine in their day.
    If you have a 'stubborn' disc i have found a method that works ( as stupid as it sounds or looks ! ) ....try breathing on the disc so it 'it mists' over and then wave ot thru the air so it clears and then try it .....dont know why but it tends to work on most. :rolleyes:
    I think the real answer is to look at another player to replace it ..... Pioneer dvd575a is probably where i will go next......shame because it is a cracking player.