1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh RPTV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mjm01, Jan 30, 2003.

1. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post .. go easy !!

I'm on the verge of buying a Toshiba 42PW23P 42" RPTV to replace my Ferguson 32" WS CRT set.

A few questions before I commit:

1) Any opinions on the Tosh?

2) How good are RPTV's these days when being viewed from an angle?

3) Are RPTV's worse or better than CRT's for being affected by magnetic fields ie speakers close to the sides?

That'll do for now !

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 42PW23P for a couple of days..

Overall very happy with the £1100 price.

Convergence is still in the process of getting spot-on, but looks very good! Since it's not perfect the only way you spot it is with a bright background with a dark outlined person. Also you can spot it with subtitles. Other than that, I'm only sitting 5 or 6 feet away, and the overall picture looks great!

The set is bright in corners.

When you go into RPTV, you do pay the price of slighty less picture quality than a well-sorted direct view, but for £1100 you can't complain- £1600 for a 36" CRT v less for a bigger screen (and less depth)

Previous TV was a Panny 28" Widescreen.

The only two problems I have is- the blue is slightly out of focus in the bottom inch or so.

I'm sitting slightly below the TV screen, it looses a bit of brightness of the top- but I'll be elevating my seat so should fix it.

The horizonal viewing distance is good enough for me.

I have a pair of the left floorstander, a big centre and a another left speaker (music) right next to the Tosh, no probs.

3. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that ...

What about the viewing angles?

My seat is pretty much dead on to the centre of the TV but the "guest" seats are at quite an obtuse angle ... so much so that the existing set is watchable but only just.

I'm assuming that RP makes this worse ... or am I wrong?

I'm awaiting the "go along to Comet and see for yourself" type replys but I just know that I wouldn't be able to leave the shop without one !! If its for sale ... I'll have it !!

Mark

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (ahem) go into currys (or is that curries?) and have a look for yourself!!!

What is the guest's viewing angle? If I remember correctly a RPTV is around 160' horizontally viewing angle.

Make sure you take a DVD player with you! If you put a Widescreen DVD in, switch to "wide" mode.

Also it's best if you're allowed to converge it, only take a couple mins to do a quick convergence. If it's totally out you'll be put off. Press Menu and scroll to the right box, bottom of that is the convergence option.

I ran the set for a couple of hours on terrestial TV- looked awful!!! (we've got terrible reception)

It looked alot better with a component NTSC source!

Don't buy it from high street- you'll get ripped off.

Unbeatable have it for £1050, plus £30 del.

Quite a eye-opener- going from 28" to 42" :eek:

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Viewing angles are more limited than CRT but if you sit in a sensible position, thing will be fine. With my Tosh RPTV the vertical viewing angle is far narrower than side to side. In fact, it's for this reason that I didn't buy the optional stand as it would have elevated the set too much vis a vis the seating possition.

Otherwise, once the convergence is set and with a good video feed you'll be impressed by picture performance.:smashin:

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    GO FOR IT!

I have an older Tosh (40Wh08B) and am well pleased with it.

Make sure it's 100Hz, makes a BIG difference on large RP screens and mine has no '100Hz nasties' that are assoc with some 100Hz TVs.
    50Hz+WS+RPTV=Headache & eyestrain!

No probs on the viewing angle on my 'guest seat' which is at a fair angle from the centre.

Also....ALWAYS use RGB Component/SCART for DVD/STB/Game Consoles and use good quality SCART leads. You should be spending at LEAST £15 per scart lead. DOES make a difference.

S-video, whilst ok, is a VERY poor second with Tosh RPs.

And as for composite (how it is probably set up in shops), don't even think about it...unless it's a VHS vcr, then you have no other option.

Don't bother with the stand, adds too much height and puts screen above the 'sweet spot'.

Good luck!

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've had the 42pw23p for nearly a week now.

Was not impressed when i first brought it, but have been playing with the settings every day since i got it home.

It now looks brill....the only thing that can get annoying from time to time, is the scan lines.
    but then it depends how far away you are sitting from it.

I sit about 8 feet from it and can see the lines on bright images.

My last TV was a panny 32pk25 and the pic i had from that was amazing...i have lost the 100hz, so can see a little flickering from time to time and the terrestrial viewing is crap compared to the panny.....evern some channels on sky digital dont look as good on this TV, but DVD playback looks as good, if not better than it did on the panny.

i would say that the viewing angle on these for horizontal is around 120 degrees.
    I have a sofa about 4 feet from the screen at the side of the room and the viewing angle from the center of the screen would be around 45 degrees and the pic looks ok, but the scan lines are more visable.

If you go for this set, i dont think you would be dissapointed, once you get used to it......also look at the 44" sony...there are loads of people on here that like that set.....but i had a play with it in a sony center and thought the tosh looked better to me.

Good luck

cheers....chris.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never liked 100hz sets, it's an expensive mistake if it brings up artifacts, juddering etc. I can't notice any flickering in the film- only in some DVD menus.

Can you totally disable it?

Also the 100hz version is DD 5.1, if you've got a decent system anyway then spending money on something you won't use.

How do you adjust different parts of the screen's focus? Blue is slightly more blurred at the bottom than the top..

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

I think you just have to keep messing around with the convergence.
    Maybe move the blue and then switch back to TV and keep doing this untill you think it looks good.

How have you found the wide screen switching.....??
    Mine works ok with RGB, but i cannot seem to get it to switch on scart 2 useing s-vid.

Been messing around with the settings again and it looks better and better every time i mess around.
    now have the colour on 20, brightness on 47 and contrast on 34.
    Looks good to me....evern the terrestial channels look better now.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use SCART from the DVD player- I use component, this doesn’t have the widescreen signal so I have to change to Wide. No biggie!

I've heard the Toshiba's aren't that great with RGB, the picture is better with Component.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yes they are :confused:

Wel mine is anyway.
    No juddering or artifacts on my Tosh 100Hz (40WH08B).

Going back to 50Hz will be like going to Black & White!

12. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 46" Thomson JH68UE and have mine slap bang in the middle of the room just infront of the fire place (which we took out to sit the RP there). Sitting about 9' away and the picture is definately better on DVD than terrestrial.

The only thing that gets me is not so much a bug, but going from a 28" Philips widescreen to a 46" RP means that when watching in a dark room (most favourable for a RP) when a bright scene appears you go blind for a few seconds lol.

Another thing is that i don't overuse the RP. It is only on from 7:00pm at night till midnight as i don't want to burn out the crts since they are so expensive.

andyw

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    :confused: :eek:

That's a bit drastic!

Take it you don't have kids, but am sure you will soon with these strict TV rations ;) :D

14. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol

No I have 4 kids, and they can watch and play their own stuff on the other 7 tvs in the house, since the terrestrial picture isn't that hot i prefer to watch it on my 29" Sony

andyw

15. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

They're really great :smashin: