1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh RPTV convergence/focus questions

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by magikkk, Jul 22, 2001.

1. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thank those who gave me advice a few weeks ago on viewing distances etc. I've since moved house, got back on line and bought a Tosh 46WHO8B.
    Generally I've been very happy with it.
    What I'd like to know though from users experience is this:

When I go into the convergence setup I see that on the onscreen number display the numbers forming a sort of central cross (2 4 8 and 6) are brighter and more sharply focused than the outer ones (1 7 3 and 9)
    Does this mean I have a focus/brightness problem? or is it the case that with the nature of the beast there is a slight drop off with focus and brightness towards these edges?

Any answers would really be appreciated

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There should not be a drop-off, the brightness and focus should be the same all over. It could be that the blue needs converging more precisely in those places. Leave your set switched on for about 45 minutes then spend time doing a full convergence until you have eliminated all the red and blue errors. If you try converging straight after switching on you will not achieve anything. The set needs 40 -45 minutes to reach its optimum performance, by which time any converging you may have done will likely have drifted off again.

3. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks delta - helpful as ever. I did try that and it was a little better, but there is still slight variation when i look at the numbers mentioned.

1/ Have you, or anyone else noticed that effect when you look at that particular menu screen? Perhaps it doesn't reflect on the picture as much as I may be imagining, i.e slight dip in brightness and clarity on numbers 1 3 7 and 9.

2/ I use a Sony 725 multi region DVD with good quality cable to component inputs. Terrestrial TV sigal seems OK, DVD's such as Magnolia, Gladiator region 2 and Private Ryan region 1 look good, however stuff like Meet Joe Black is a bit blurry and Life is beautiful is like soft focus throughout. I realise this may be a seperate issue, maybe the DVD transfer or my player, has anyone else noticed that kinf of variation in sharpness/focus at all between movies?

3/ Is it the nature of a bigger screen and RPTV's that they are a little softer/less sharp? My previous TV was a Sony 32" FX60

Again replies appreciated

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Interesting to hear your convergence problems. I bought the PW4003 and have been pleased with the performance of it, particularly through my Sony DVD player.

However, when watching Sky through my cable box i get blurring on the lettering of the logo's and the picture also seems to blur, albeit slightly, on the left hand side towards the bottom. I assumed that this was normal with larger RP tv's but if this is a problem with the set it will have to be looked at.

Any further advice appreciated

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also use Sony 725 DVD player input to tv via component, my VCR is S-VHS input via AV2, SkyDigital is composite via AV3 and ITVDigital is RGB via AV1, therefore I have seen al the available inputs and I have not had any of the picture problems referred to above. My picture is consistent throughout. Try reducing sharpness to less than 0, colour to 40, brightness to 40 and contrast to about 46 and use 100Hz processing. My picture is sharp and clear but it is vital that convergence is set up properly. If you have a new set then call in an engineer to adjust it via the service menu, it is an amzingly accurate system.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Magikkk,

Just to make you feel better...I also see a difference in clarity between the centre and the edge crosses... I have had 3 sets now and all of them have been pretty much the same - I would imagine this is a physical component of the distance light has to travel from the guns to each point on the screen. I do not think that this really impacts on the picture you see. If you can..try sitting a little further away as a test, it can make things look better.

Cheers
    Daz

7. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys you really are helpful.
    Mmm.....wish there was a bulletin board for a few more things in this life as well...as audio visual
    ;)

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such as...?

9. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned: