1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh RPTV - Badly made and flimsy?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by magikkk, Jun 19, 2001.

1. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I've shelled out for a 46inch Tosh WHO series based on picture quality and recommendation. I read on the component cables thread a member who regards the internal build as poor and flimsy. Any experiences, or is it a case of we are getting quite a lot already for the money and just treat with caution/look after the machine i.e when moving or conmnecting stuff?

2. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be me.

I fell in love with this TV 1st time I saw it's picture quality. The features had me even more impressed. But it all went pear shaped upon delivery. The set was D.O.A. no TV tuner , no scart input and no component RBG input. Sent it back and waited for a replacement. Got the "replacement" worked fine out of the box and have been enjoying it since 22 Feb.

2 Weekends ago I was getting strange effects thru component but TV tuner and scart were still fine. Moved around a few cables and seemed OK. Next day it was all messed up again so I called out the engineer. When he removed the badly fitted rear panel he pushed down on the input riser card and it dropped into it's location and the component was fine. When he left I couldn't help feeling that I had been buttfu**ed by Toshiba, this was the same set I had returned as D.O.A. but felt I would be wasting my time complaining about it as it was 4 months ago now.

However the next day the picture messed up again, called out the engineer and it now seems necessary to replace the complete riser board, for whoever repaired it in the 1st place hadn't put on the back cover properly and the riser was never fully seated correctly. So after 4 months of use [i.e. switching telly on & off] the contacts on the board have been damaged due to poor electrical connectivity. I only hope that it is the riser card that has taken the damage and not the "motherboard".

So zero thanks to Toshiba for designing a pitiful enclosure and anchor points for a very good RPTV. Zero points for misleading me into thinking I was getting a new set. And if I ever find out who the dimwit who tried to repair the set in the 1st place is, well I'm sure you can guess.

Neddless to say if the TV is not completely fixed to my satisfaction upon receipt of the new board, I will be speaking to Toshiba again.

If you live on a ground floor get the set, but check out the rear panel for damage, bad fitment etc before you sign the delivery note, and definately get an extended warraty with the set. Try and borrow a component RGB DVD player and check out the input, as even when mine wasn't working the TV tuner and scarts were fine.