nathan_silly

About the Schempluge problem..

-----------------------
** | | | | | | | | | | | |
-----------------------

With the blue, the left hand side is more blurry & out of focus.

So I've taken the screen off and placed two washes between the lens and the horizontal chassis so the angle is adjusted slightly (so it's more angle at clockwise)

------------> .
(R)----(G)-----(B)
------------> .

However this made it worse

-------------------------
*** | | | | | | | | | | | |
-------------------------

So I'll place the washers on the right side instead.. it'll make the in focus sections out of focus on purpose- I'm trying to get the whole screen at the same level of focus - doesn't matter if the whole lot is out, as long as the whole screen is equal (and not affecting the left) that way I can re-adjust blue lens focus & screen pot to get perfect.

I'll do that later on today.

Do you know if this 'tint down left side' thing is consistent with all Tosh 42 RPTVs?

I've just ordered a Toshiba 42PW23P so I'm kind of hoping it's not! :)

On the whole though I assume you're happy with your TV?

Any other tips you might have for this model? I noticed you put the service manual up for download recently but it seems to have vanished from the site linked. :(

It's not a tint, it's just the far left hand side is more bloomy with the blue.. it's a bit annoying, but I only sit 2M from the set so I'm bound to spot any small problems.

But once you've converged to the best you can do, it's reduced dramatically. Granted it's not perfect, but I would rather have that, instead of terrible geometry from large 36" 16:9 direct view (which cannot be fixed)

Yes very happy with the set, can't really complain for £1100. IMO better than a Plasma (no pixels that die) better colour, and a true black.

Here's a snapshot I've taken.

http://nathansilly.012webpages.com/

Actual picture is MUCH better than this.. more detail, and even brightness. Also there are no dots on the picture itself.

Regarding the Schempluge, since I'm a picky sod & a tweaker I like to get the PQ as good as possible.. so I would recommend..

1) Disabling SVM
2) After a month, adjust the red, green and blue focus pots to get the grids as sharp as possible.
3) Do a quick user level convergence for each aspect mode
4) Perform the service level convergence for each aspect mode & display format (PAL & NTSC)

Unless you plan on going into the service menu you don't need the service manual. Use Avia (essential purchase )to check geometry on your set.. if it's out you'll need to adjust the grid.

Oh reduce colour to 35. Contrast to 40 (VERY IMPORTANT!!) and brightness to 40-50, depending on your room. Reduce sharpness to around -5

Read up on these sites..
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/Theater/ToshibaTips.htm
and
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/generaltweaks.html

I placed two washers on the right side on the lens. It still made the left hand side of the screen worse!

So I guess the actual CRT angle needs to be adjusted, and not the lens.

But my service manual warns not to loosen the 4 spring-loaded bolts otherwise coolant will leak.

So what can I do?

Right I've done this in the following order (it hasn't removed the left-side Schempluge, but it's brought the overall blue focus in, so there's less haloing noticeable on the left)

1) Removed the screen. Looking directly into the lenses I adjusted the electronic focus (pot behind the speaker grille) until the blue grid is the most thinnest, and the blue output level drops a bit.

2) Loosened the blue lens wingnut. Placed fishing wire over the screw, and passed the wire through the holes on the left & hand side of the screen. Put screen back on. Now by pulling on the left or right screen- bring the blue into tightest focus.

Remove screen, tighten wingnut, remove fishing wire and place screen back on.

I had some blue haloing near the centre, now it's gone (I must have adjusted the electronic focus in the past- which is the wrong way of doing it)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom