Tosh RDXS34 gets video feedback when VCR attached

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by necronom, Oct 12, 2005.

1. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I've just got a Toshiba RD XS34 and connected it up like this:

NTL STB -> VCR -> AV1 of XS34
    AV2 of XS34 -> TV

For some reason, I get a nasty feedback loop going when the VCR is on but not playing a tape. If I press play, it's okay. When I stop it, the screen starts to go brighter (with a corrupt picture) and sometimes a noise starts increasing in volume - I quickly unplug the scart lead that this point, or press play again on the VCR.

Does anyone know why it is doing this? This must be a normal way to connect things, isn't is?

Another thing that happens is that when I switch the XS34 into standby mode, I lose the TV picture! Shouldn't the signal pass-through the unit like it does with my VCR?

I have previously used a LITE-ON DVD Recorder, and everything worked normally - VCR was fine, and TV signal passed through when switched off.

I've just ordered an RGB scart switch box, so having no TV when the XS34 is off won't be a problem as I'll be able to use AV1 on the TV for normal TV, then share AV2 with my PS2.

Any help would be appreciated.

The pass-through thing I can live without, but the other one could damage my equipment. I only have the VCR connected so I can transfer tapes to the hard drive occasionally.

Thanks,

Paul.

2. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The XS34 manual suggests that the TV should be connected via AV1 and the STB (via the video) connected to AV2. I'm not sure if it will work as I have relegated my video to another room.
    To watch the STB whilst the recorder is in standby you should use the SATMONI function (user manual - page 41).

3. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried swapping the AVs round, but then I only got sound from the STB. No picture.

I've also tried pressing the monitor button. It makes a click sound, but nothing happens on the screen - it stays blank. Maybe if I had the AV's the other way round (and I actually had a picture) this would work, but since the picture doesn't work through AV2 it's no good.

I've even tried swapping the scarts round on the VCR. I think I have tried every combination.

4. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I assume that you have the AV2 input set up for the correct type of video signal that your VCR is putting out, ie Video/S-Video or RGB.

5. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At the moment I have the AV input/output deliberately wrong as I thought that might have stopped the feedback. I am 99% sure they were set at RGB when I first tried them with the cable the other way round (I set everything to RGB when I first set up the recorder).

When I get home from work, I'll put them back to RGB again and swap the AVs round. It's possible I never tried it with AV2 as input & AV1 as output while RGB were on both. Having AV1 as an input seemes logical to me so I probably didn't try too hard to get AV2 working.

Thanks for the replies.

Paul.

6. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right, I swapped the cables round and I changed the input to "video" and I now have a picture and the pass-through now works.

The feedback is still happening though when the video is switched on and not playing a tape.

I'll probably just have to put up with it. Once I've transferred things from tape to DVDs, I can get rid of the VCR and I'll have no problems then.