1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh RDXS32 - Q about recording mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ozxplorer, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've just recently purchased one of these and have been pleasantly surprised by its depth of functionality, the GUI is awesome!

I love the way you could customise the recording quality. I've only done a few recordings, so my question is does anyone know if it uses Variable Bit Rate (VBR) or Constant Bit Rate (CBR) recording mode? Unfortunately, the manual isn't clear on this.

Switching on the bitrate bar graph display seems to indicate constant. BTW, I've only tried recording on DVD-RW.

I also have a Panny E100 and its bitrate display goes up and down, suggesting it records using VBR, so which is better? I would have thought VBR is better/more efficient and is used on commercial movie DVDs.

Any comments most welcomed, many thanks in advance,
    Ozxplorer

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Toshiba (and virtually all main brand DVD recorders now) use Variable Bitrate. Needless to say in order to meet recording lengths the bitrate will hover around the average rate required.

3. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Rasczak. I haven't tried DVD-RAM recording yet but here's what I found with some more testing. I took a DVD-RAM disc recorded on the Panny (XP mode), played it back on the Toshy and the bitrate display bar graph went up & down (definitely VBR).

I then played back a DVD-RW recorded on the Toshy (MN 9.2Mps) and the bar graph remained constant which suggests CBR to me. Is this a limitation of -RW Video mode vs VR mode? Is it any different on the Pioneers?

Could someone please confirm my findings, many thanks in advance.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Have you fixed the resolution of the E100? What audio settings are you using on the Toshiba? - if they are not the same your not comparing like for like. In addition it is well established the Panasonic range have noticeably better MPEG encoders than the Toshiba models. VBR is still variable though even if it only compares a few frames as opposed to a few seconds. If you want confirmation import into VirtualDub or a similar programme where I can assure you it will specify it is a VBR recording.

At that kind of bitrate your not going to see a major change in bitrate anyway!

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All my recordings done on my XS32 alter bit rate upon playback

6. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the replies. Ok, I've done more testing and you're right, it's VBR after all!

[/QUOTE]At that kind of bitrate your not going to see a major change in bitrate anyway

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you press fl (or something like that) you can change the display on the front panel to give a digital display of the bitrate, albeit, quite a small one.